T8 and T12 direct wire LED bulbs

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’ve only ever done the ballast bypass line voltage LED with fixtures that have T8 bulbs.

Are there pin base the same as T12?

If you are going direct line voltage to the bulb can you replace T12 fluorescent bulbs with T8 LED?

I know some of the T8 LED direct wire bulbs you can have L/N on just one side of the bulb or have one side L and the other N so wether or not the sockets are shunted won’t matter other than verifying what they are for wiring the new lights in.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I’ve only ever done the ballast bypass line voltage LED with fixtures that have T8 bulbs.

Are there pin base the same as T12?

If you are going direct line voltage to the bulb can you replace T12 fluorescent bulbs with T8 LED?

I know some of the T8 LED direct wire bulbs you can have L/N on just one side of the bulb or have one side L and the other N so wether or not the sockets are shunted won’t matter other than verifying what they are for wiring the new lights in.
More than I can count. I always remove the ballast to save energy and eliminate that point of failure. Pins are the same. I just wire one end to the 120V and the other to the Neutral. Never done a 277V one.

Mark

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've used both the end to end and the side by side configuration. I prefer the end to end as you don't have to worry about shunted sockets or putting the tube in backwards. I just cut the wires to the ballast and leave the ballast in place. Saves on disposal of the ballast.

The tombstones/sockets are the same for T8 & T12, so all the LED tubes will fit either one.