T8 Fixture Support - RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

msimms

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a situation out on a plant floor regarding the use of RGS conduit being used to support newly installed 6-lamp, T8 fixtures. The RGS is existing and was previously used to power (through outlets) older T12 fixtures (3-lamp) which were recently replaced with the modern T8 brand.

The new fixture weighs no more 17 lbs, and the RGS in my opinion is securely supported per code along steel supports, with steel columns 30' apart and as mentioned, was used to support the older T12 fixtures that were replaced.

A safety rep in the building, stated that the installation was a safety and code violation, and requested the lights to be rehung off the steel supports with proper connecters and airplane cable. I would normally not have a problem installing it in that manner, but with machinary layouts, my designed light dispersion and for contractor ease of installation, the conduit was a much better form of support.

I asked where and what code he referenced and he's never given me a solid answer. I have referenced numerous articles in the NEC, including 344.10 (Uses Permitted for RGS), 410.36(E) allowing raceway fittings to support the entire fixture & 300.11(B) where raceways are used for support, all which seem to justify my interpretation as to allow the original installation to occur.

Is there another code that I should be referencing that I'm missing this possible safety concern ; Life Safety?, Building Code (I'm in Missouri)? or any other reference in the NEC?

I appreciate anyone's interpretations or feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.