Table 220.55 note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
I got into an argument with a contractor but now I’m doubting myself. I have a stove range under 12kw. I run # 8 and a 40 amp breaker cause I thought note 4 allows me to calculate the branch circuit using column c that states that 1 appliances could be calculated as 8kw. I thought I was going to do the job, my company hired a contractor now the contractor is saying he has to change the wire because it pulls 41 amps and adding 125% is over 51 amps and he has to put it on a 50 amp breaker with #6. My question is: if note 4 is only for feeder calculation why does it says Branch circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When you say stove I assume you mean Range (combo cooktop & oven)? Not just a individual cooktop or oven? If it is a range you can size the branch circuit per note 4. The contractor is also incorrect that you need to add 125% to residential cooking appliances. They are not continuous loads.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 125% IS BOGUS. yOU DO NOT PUT 125% ON A RANGE. Sorry caps lock was on

If the range nameplate stated minimum cir. 41 amps then IMO you would need to go to 50 amps but 40 amps should be enough and should be compliant

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
The 125% IS BOGUS. yOU DO NOT PUT 125% ON A RANGE. Sorry caps lock was on

If the range nameplate stated minimum cir. 41 amps then IMO you would need to go to 50 amps but 40 amps should be enough and should be compliant

It says maximum draw 41amps@ 120/208v. How do you determine wether a range is going to run for 3 hours or not? I heard some people say cooking the turkey in thanks giving!

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
When you say stove I assume you mean Range (combo cooktop & oven)? Not just a individual cooktop or oven? If it is a range you can size the branch circuit per note 4. The contractor is also incorrect that you need to add 125% to residential cooking appliances. They are not continuous loads.

What if it’s on a dorm?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only time a range would draw full power would be if you turned on all burners and the oven on preheat while they're cold.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The reason for Table 220.55 is because of what Larry stated. The oven is on a T-stat so it will come on and off. Even the burners are often t-stat controlled and they will rarely if ever be on high along with all the other burners and ovens. That is why the nec allows a demand factor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It says maximum draw 41amps@ 120/208v. How do you determine wether a range is going to run for 3 hours or not? I heard some people say cooking the turkey in thanks giving!
3 hours does not make it a continuous load, it's 3 hours at maximum output. Since it has a thermostat it will never run at maximum output for 3 hours or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.