taking pictures in class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As an instructor, do you allow students taking pictures of the presenting slides and/or voice recording the class?

iwire

Staff member
As an instructor, do you allow students taking pictures of the presenting slides and/or voice recording the class?

How can you really prevent it?

Short of a strip search and confiscating all their electronic devices I think you have little control over it.

My phone takes pictures from either side and records great.

kwired

Electron manager
The small cameras we have readily available are something a little different, but sound recording of class lectures is nothing new at all, just the devices used to do so are all that has changed.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Given Dennis' profile picture, he will probably remember this too, but for years, the Music Industry fought against pictures, tapes and especially video of live performances. Nowadays they couldn't prevent it if they tried! It doesn't seem to really affect ticket prices or attendance. So my point is why would it matter? Really?

kwired

Electron manager
Given Dennis' profile picture, he will probably remember this too, but for years, the Music Industry fought against pictures, tapes and especially video of live performances. Nowadays they couldn't prevent it if they tried! It doesn't seem to really affect ticket prices or attendance. So my point is why would it matter? Really?

My wife has a professional grade camera, they did not let her take it inside at a recent concert, but cell phones and cheap cameras are acceptable:slaphead:

Some phones can take pretty fair quality images these days, as well as video and sound.

Rewire

I remember an old movie where the colledge professor was giving the lecture and had a few tape recorders in the next scene more empty seats and tape recorders and in the next all empty seats and tape recorders in the final scene all empty seats and tape recorders and the prof was gone and in his place was a tape recorder. I have taught at the Annex and i find that the younger people live with electronics it is a part of how they learn. Most understand copyright and what not to do but I always informed the class that the material(mikes stuff) was under copyright and should not be reproduced or used outside the class without permission of the copyright holder.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

I provide a handout of the power point that I use for class, and do not allow phones or recorders during class. They can be major distractions for other students that have paid for the class.

Phones are turned off and placed in manilla envelopes with each students name on it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I provide a handout of the power point that I use for class, and do not allow phones or recorders during class. They can be major distractions for other students that have paid for the class.

Phones are turned off and placed in manilla envelopes with each students name on it.

I think I would not take your classes. But, there is a big difference between traditional teenage type students who have no other responsibilities and older students who can only go to a class if they can be reached in case of some mess that needs to be dealt with.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
I think I would not take your classes. But, there is a big difference between traditional teenage type students who have no other responsibilities and older students who can only go to a class if they can be reached in case of some mess that needs to be dealt with.

If you are taking a private course and paying by the hour you can keep your phone in you posesion and answer it at will, but when it is a joint class I do not exspect otheres to be disrespected or impositioned by lack of respect for others in the class.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you are taking a private course and paying by the hour you can keep your phone in you posesion and answer it at will, but when it is a joint class I do not exspect otheres to be disrespected or impositioned by lack of respect for others in the class.

I would bet the only one in the class thinking he is being disrespected or impositioned is the instructor. Things are different these days. There are different standards for this type of thing then 30 or 40 years ago when it was not even possible.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in classes or seminars where someone has to get up and go outside to take a call. I have had to do it. I have never been offended by it nor have I ever observed anyone else in the class to appear offended. Even the instructors.

RICK NAPIER

I don't care if they take pictures or record my seminar as long as it is done without creating a distraction to the students or me. Half my seminars are copyrighted material and the other half I have created.

WorkSafe

Cell phone in a manilla envelope? That wouldn't fly with us. We are all adults here and the all the instructors that we have paid good money too also understand work still goes on. They just ask we keep the phones on vibrate and take the call outside the classroom if needed. If my office couldn't get a hold of me because of a mishap or other incident, I would be in trouble.

As far as taking pictures and such. I've had some instructors say they have their slides "copyrighted." I don't buy it. Most of these slides and educational matericals could be argued as fair use. They also grab all their information off of other sources, so the rights to most of the slides are not even their's to begin with.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
I would bet the only one in the class thinking he is being disrespected or impositioned is the instructor. Things are different these days. There are different standards for this type of thing then 30 or 40 years ago when it was not even possible.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in classes or seminars where someone has to get up and go outside to take a call. I have had to do it. I have never been offended by it nor have I ever observed anyone else in the class to appear offended. Even the instructors.

You are right, there are different standards in this world. I happen to set high standards.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Voice recording can be a legal issue in some states. Illinois is a "two party consent state" and it is illegal to record voice without the permission of everyone being recorded.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are right, there are different standards in this world. I happen to set high standards.
So I assume that you don't permit people to go to the restroom outside of your scheduled breaks? The distraction from going to the restroom or leaving the room to answer a "silenced" cell phone is identical.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i recently ( june) took a class, weekend, to the tune of 395.00 for two days, and was not allowd to remove any paper documents provided us in the class. instructor reviewed our notes, and if they were "too close to what the paper had on it" they were confiscated. i was not impressed. some bs about copywritten material. appeared more like parania to me. i would not recommend these classes to anyone. you don't get enough for your money. someones a little too full of themselves

Rewire

I always ask ahead how the class is done things like material I need what will be handed out and what can be copied I also ask about cell phone policy. I would have no problem putting my cell in an envelope but if it rang I would get it out and answer it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
....... They just ask we keep the phones on vibrate and take the call outside the classroom if needed. Agree

As far as taking pictures and such. I've had some instructors say they have their slides "copyrighted." I don't buy it. Most of these slides and educational matericals could be argued as fair use. They also grab all their information off of other sources, so the rights to most of the slides are not even their's to begin with.

All of Mike Holts & IAEI teaching material and slides are copy righted material and reproduction of any kind is against the law.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

so i can draw a picture of a transformer connection from someone elses book, copyright it and then prevent you from copying it? thats whack! there's really "nothing new" in any of this stuff, whats the big deal, oh yeah i forgot, MONEY

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
so i can draw a picture of a transformer connection from someone elses book, copyright it and then prevent you from copying it? thats whack! there's really "nothing new" in any of this stuff, whats the big deal, oh yeah i forgot, MONEY

Of course it is all about money. Why would IAEI or Mike Holt or Tom Henry allow you to duplicate their product and give it out as a free product?

Taking some pictures of the slides may be OK but taking pictures of the whole class, i dont think it is legal according to copyright laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.