talking safety in hooking up a residential Service Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was up on a 6ft. ladder hooking up a service it felt like the desert it was so hot outside, so I took off my shirt I had shorts on but I was wearing some leather gloves I was sweating so much i was cleaning my sweat with the edges of the gloves was it a big deal not wearing all that protection stuff i dont think it was waht do yall think.

iwire

Staff member
Re: talking safety in hooking up a residential Service Drop

Originally posted by priorityone:
was it a big deal not wearing all that protection stuff i dont think it was waht do yall think.
I used to do things like you describe, then I became more educated on what the results can be.

These guys probably did not think it was a big deal either.

tcer006.jpg

ecbp35.jpg

These photos are some of the less graphic ones.

Go to this site for a lot of great electrical safety information.

SAFTENG.NET

bphgravity

I don't know what you mean by "hooking up a service". This is generally out of the scope of an electricians duties?

Are you actually doing some sort of "hot" work, or connecting to the service drop?

Great pics and link Bob! Thanks!

I want to get some video or good pics like these to show my first year apprentice students this next school year. Fear is the best educator! :eek:

rickcham

Prioritone

Not a good Idea to be hooking up a service on a hot day in shorts,damp leather gloves. check the OSHA rules it could save your life and someone elses. Good advice spend $40 on a pair of low voltage gloves and wear the proper clothes when working.
For others in the Northeast it is common to do a service change and reconnnet the service drop, The POC usually takes a couple of weeks to get there after the final inspection.

pierre

In Westchester County, NY it is now a requirement that the electrical contractor or his men make the connection at the service point for residential overhead service upgrades (such as 100 amp to 200 amp). Talk about training and liability.

Pierre

roger willis

When I worked in Oklahoma back in the sixties we always had to reconnect the service drop when we did a service change.
Well, we were carefull to not ground ourself or short it out and thank god none of us got hurt. But I don't think any of us knew anything about arc-blast, flashburns, and available fault current. I guess we were lucky. If I were still working in the field today, I can still work it hot but I would have the proper equipment and clothing. I would not do it without a shirt and in shorts!!!!

Roger

lazorko

In Philly, we always reconnect services to power co. lines, and I've even skinned an old lead jacketed (and crumbling) power company underground cable to make a connection... I was young and dumb then, and was lucky that time.
But Priorityone, keep in mind that sweat is a GREAT conductor! While a sweat-soaked shirt won't save you, try a pair of gloves. Covering all stripped utility wires and grounded surfaces with dry ,non conductive covering (even pieces of cardboard) before you start making taps can give you some protection, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.