tamper resistant receptacles on portable lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am designing a lamp for a hotel chain. They require a snap-in type receptacle on the base of the lamp for use with a phone charger and such. I cannot find any major manufacturer of electrical components [like Leviton] that makes a snap-in receptacle in TR. Is the TR required when used as a component of a portable lamp?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Nothing in the NEC applies to the design and operation of a table lamp. The NEC is only concerned with premises wiring, not any manufactured equipment. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your response. I only have a hard copy of NEC 2005, so that is what I use for reference.

Please help me understand this statement in the introduction. [90.2.A.3] Scope - Covered. This Code covers the installation of electrical conductors, equipment... (3) ...that connect to the supply of electricity.

Reading this statement is what lead me to believe that I had to provide TR receptacles in the base of the lamp.

rt66electric

do not know if this is a code or not.........

do not know if this is a code or not.........

do not know if this is a code or not......... A inspector said... if a rec is above 5ft it does not need to be a tamper-proof.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for your response. I only have a hard copy of NEC 2005, so that is what I use for reference.

Please help me understand this statement in the introduction. [90.2.A.3] Scope - Covered. This Code covers the installation of electrical conductors, equipment... (3) ...that connect to the supply of electricity.

Reading this statement is what lead me to believe that I had to provide TR receptacles in the base of the lamp.
A lamp is not "installed".

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
do not know if this is a code or not......... A inspector said... if a rec is above 5ft it does not need to be a tamper-proof.
It's not "tamper-proof," but rather "tamper-resistant." And it's not 5 feet, but rather 5.5 feet. The code article is 406.12, exception. Do not make decisions on the basis of what any inspector said, or what anyone else said. I refer you to "Charlie's Rule" for more guidance on this topic.

Edited to add: That exception was first included with the 2011 edition of the NEC.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
A lamp is not "installed".
And I agree with this statement. In fairness, I must mention that Bob (Iwire) has disagreed with this interpretation.

That said, if you look at the exceptions that I mention in post 6 above, even if you were to consider a table lamp as being a "luminaire," the exception states that receptacles that are part of a luminare do not need to be tamper-resistant. I should mention again that that exception was added in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.