Tankless electric water heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeemed1

Hello my name is Augie. How can I accurately do a load calculation for a dwelling unit with an existing 225 amps and the homeowner wants to add 2 electric tankless water heaters? Are the tankless water heaters derated as a fastens in place appliance? Or do we calculate them in at 100% with no derating. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(from another Augie).. IMO, You can apply 220.53 if they are part of 4 fixed appliances

david

There may be actual load data from the power company that could assist you in determining if this additional load can be added to the service

blkmagik21

Those things are ginormous power hogs. If they are adding two tankless heaters expect to upgrade the service like 80-90 percent of the time. I’ve seen one of those draw 200 amps on its own. When it turns on you can go outside and watch the electric meter spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not sure I'd want to derate anything for just those. You KNOW they will both be on at the same time, many times.
220.53 allows 75% demand factor for four or more appliances, not including ranges, dryers, space heating/cooling equipment. I don't see these as a type of load that will be continuously at maximum current and such demand factor shouldn't result in significant overloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.