Tankless Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

fido

How would anyone interested calculate the loads for a tankless water heater. I am pricing a new home for a customer that has two of them( one 28kw, one 18kw). Using the optional calculation method calls for a 225 Amp service. Standard calculation method calls for 400 Amp. How do you handle it.

cadpoint

fido said:
How would anyone interested calculate the loads for a tankless water heater. I am pricing a new home for a customer that has two of them( one 28kw, one 18kw). Using the optional calculation method calls for a 225 Amp service. Standard calculation method calls for 400 Amp. How do you handle it.

There quite a few threads here on your post subject tankless water heaters that you might search and review and get back to us with details of your the install ...:rolleyes:

fido

I have gotten with the POCO. There will be a charge to the homeowner as this is a new development( 5 acre tracts). haven't heard back from them yet. This is a new house 2200 +/- sq ft. all electric. Not overboard on the fancy stuff. Most load is the 2 tankless heaters and 20kw strip heat. Ran the numbers in standard calculation method ended up with 385 Amps demand. Optional method ended up with 223 amps demand. Just cautious about putting too small a service on this house. I ended up quoting the 400 Amp service. I am going to do some testing on these water heaters after install to get some real world numbers for future reference demand wise.
Thanks for the replies
Paul

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With 20 KW strips and the two tankless water heaters (Are you sure of the wattage on thos water heaters--seems excessive for a small house) , I would without a doubt install a 400 amp service.

I don't have time to do the calculation but with a heat pump and all that other stuff it doesn't seem possible to use a 225 amp service.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Are you sure of the wattage on those water heaters--seems excessive for a small house

With tankless electric water heaters the size of the home will not have much influence on the size of the heaters although it will control how many of the units are needed.

If you want a tankless to make enough hot GPM for a decent shower it will take a lot of power no matter the size of the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.