Tanning beds and booths....

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just make sure your supply voltage is the same as the required voltage for the bed or you may need to install transformers.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
True that is. Many are 240v, and if the building has three phase, it's time to price buck-boosts!

:-?

There is such a thing as 240v 3-phase, just because it's 3 phase doesn't mean it's 208v wye. Plenty of older buildings around here have it, our shop included.

Chenley

True that is. Many are 240v, and if the building has three phase, it's time to price buck-boosts!

I'll second that past three times I've installed hot tubs I've had to put a transformer on since the voltage was too high. Check the manufacturers specs and make sure your within the voltage limits.

This is my field specifically. I sell and install tanning beds and related systems for salons.

Most beds utilize choke ballasts and operate best in the range of 230-240 volts. A disconnect means is required, either a plug and outlet or a switch disconnect. No hard wiring to a j box. Larger beds do have internal circuit protection but do still require an external disconnect.

If the voltage is 208 which is most common in strip malls then you will need transformers to raise the voltage or performance will suffer. Most delta services that I have found in strip malls tend to be over 240, usually around 245 and it is recommended to lower the voltage otherwise it will cause component failure.

Some American brands utilize magnetic ballasts which are 120 volts and do not require voltage correction. Just ensure that you do not place these units on the red leg of delta services as it does use the neutral and will power half the unit at 200+ volts.

If you want more specific information an powering certain brands then let me know.

Here are some transformer diagrams:

BuckBooster24or32volt1ph.jpg

BuckBooster24or32volt3ph.jpg

buck_booster_12_or_plus16volt_1ph.jpg

buck_booster_12_or_plus16volt_3ph.jpg

buck_booster_12_or_16_volt_1ph.jpg

buck_booster_12_or_16volt_3ph.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.