Tanning Beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dema

I read a number of posts prior to checking out an installation I had been asked to verify. Thank you all for providing the resources. I was thinking about the issue of the bed shocking people.

And there was talk of a corner grounded delta system.

The shocks appeared to be due to a difference in ground potential. I am wondering if an improperly grounded transformer could be causing the difference in ground potential.

The zero point for voltage is not a constant. There is no absolute zero point. Voltages are always relative to each other. Even if you put a ground grid on the area a few feet away from an electrical substation, for example, there will be voltage differences along that grid. When different voltages are being grounded - which occurs when there is high voltage equipment - the ground will have voltage readings that look like any other kind of topographical map.

Anyway, too much theory.

If there is an issue of different voltages in a facility, I would check to make sure that the transformers are grounded exactly the way the manufacturer intended and that an ungrounded delta primary hasn't been grounded in a place that was never intended. Driving that rod into the ground from a point that was never intended to be zero can cause smoke and black magic. (Hopefully, not literal smoke - but strange happenings that were never intended.)

Thank you for all your help in the past.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I can understand how ground can be such an elusive target to capture since so much of the terrain is varied. When I have tried to know what can be outdated but still quantifiable information all of the columns need not have an asterisk, only one of them. Still there there is no absolute zero. Voltage is relevant, not relative when there is a reformative action to be sought.

The ground rod in the facility that has different voltages continues to need attention by whom those must know it is in the directive. As a side note, when faced with either choice not much is left to chance with the past practices to compare to manufactures instructions outsourced by a transformer manufacturer. Ungrounded deltas are complete when open or closed even when left ungrounded.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can understand how ground can be such an elusive target to capture since so much of the terrain is varied. When I have tried to know what can be outdated but still quantifiable information all of the columns need not have an asterisk, only one of them. Still there there is no absolute zero. Voltage is relevant, not relative when there is a reformative action to be sought.

The ground rod in the facility that has different voltages continues to need attention by whom those must know it is in the directive. As a side note, when faced with either choice not much is left to chance with the past practices to compare to manufactures instructions outsourced by a transformer manufacturer. Ungrounded deltas are complete when open or closed even when left ungrounded.

With good fortune there is both efficient and efficacious an algorithm.
Simply enough to step outside.
Then initiate to lean forward but restrain self from moving feet.
Ground will be discovered within seconds or less, as a local minimum in the altitude of the face.
Extending hands in an attempt to save face will invalidate results.

Tapatalk!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ground will be discovered within seconds or less, as a local minimum in the altitude of the face.

Tapatalk!

What!?
:)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Tapatalk!
Repeat as necessary to verify results as consistent. Engage others for verification of replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.