tanning beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

double d

I have been asked to wire up some tanning beds.
My question is do I need a disconnect with in site of the bed or can it be wired straight to the breaker. This is the first time I have been asked to do this, and need some knowledge.
Thanks.
Double d

bphgravity

Re: tanning beds

I believe UL lists this equipment as "personal grooming appliances." Based on that, a disconnecting means as required in Article 422 would apply.

Also, read the manufacturer's installation instructions.

hey_poolboy

depending on the application most commercial tanning salons have a sophisticated timer system that all beds are switched from. I believe that every one I have seen has some type of disconnect near the bed. As for code required, I don't know. Sorry.

Mike

celtic

I do not know the answer...BUT a friend on mine who owns a few tanning salons and , by chance, also happens to be an EC does know.

I'll ask him how he connected his beds (code may be old? 93/96 ish).

realolman

Originally posted by bphgravity:
I believe UL lists this equipment as "personal grooming appliances."
How do you find if and what is listed? I've seen many times about something being listed, but I don't know where to look.
thanks

The NEC code book. (For articles) Most of us have been through some type of electrical schooling with 4-5 years. The code book is not read like a "book", but when you understand it, its a great tool. You can buy one here, and other very usful books!

[ January 28, 2006, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Dirt merchant ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We did a tanning salon a few years ago and all of the beds were cord and plug from the manufacturer. The controls were connected from the wall control box in each room to the master controller with a small 4 wire phone style cable with RJ11 jacks.

growler

I did a tanning salon in 2000 and it had a mixture of beds from Europe ( Germany )and some small ones made in the US. Check to see if they have any of the large Turbo beds. Those have a rather large blower motor and don't come with a cord. They may also require a buck/boost transformer. That type of bed is where I used disconnects. Note: European beds have a 240V control circuit ( Motor starter coil). The small american made beds that were 30 Amp. 220V I used the cord and installed a receptacle. The came with the cord and only needed a low voltage control. I had to fabricate low voltage controls for the big beds.

Status
Not open for further replies.