tap code violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadd9

a coworker showed me how his garage the other day he had a 3wire rec that he used for his welder he told me he had used the 240v power that was hooked to his stove he said he had a new stove.
Where the welder is three wire and the stove is four what can be the possibe implications to this setup and where would i find these violations in the code book.

Rick Christopherson

I am not an expert on code and I am too lazy to go look up a reference this late at night, but I am pretty sure that the range must be a dedicated circuit. That alone would kill the concept.

Electrically there is nothing wrong with the setup, as it would just be a multiwire branch circuit with a combination of 120 and 240 volt loads. If it was any other circuit besides a range (like another tool in his shop) then he could do it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
no the other outlet is in a detached garage
If the detached garage already has power provided by one feeder or one branch circuit, the added branch circuit for the welder is likely a violation of 225.30 (Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders, More Than One Building or Other Structure, Number of Supplies), which limits the garage to one feeder or branch circuit and excepted only under specific "special" conditions.

If the above is not relevant, see 225.31 for the Disconnecting Means and 225.32 for Location requirements. Then go to 250.32 for grounding requirements.

drive1968

Aside from the codebook, he may want to check whether the appliance manufacturer specifies a dedicated circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.