Tap Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtazjr

I need some clarity on the subject of Feeder taps.

Well, this scenerio is that I have a 30KW Standby generator and I need to feed two 150Amp panels through two ATS.

The generator is about 30 feet away from the ATS with 150Amp Breaker inside of it.

Would it be a code violation if I tapped the 1/0 conductor to feed both ATS?

:confused:

djtazjr

Re: Tap Conductors

OK. I am confused now IWIRE. Its not a tap? How so? I havent really done to many "branch circuits" like this.

Further explanation is appreciated.

:)

iwire

Staff member

First off these are not branch circuits they are feeders.

Now it is only a tap if the wire size used is smaller than the breaker ahead of the feeder.

Here is an example of a tap.

You have a 200 amp feeder that runs over to two 100 amp disconnects. At the disconnects you enter a junction box and splice on 100 amp conductors to each 100 amp disconnect.

Those 100 amp conductors are taps of the 200 amp feeder.

It sounds like you are going to leave a 150 amp breaker at the generator with 1/0 (150 amp rated) then go over to two transfer switches all the while using 1/0 conductors.

That is not a tap that is just a feeder feeding more than one load, no different then leaving a panel with a branch circuit and feeding a dozen outlets.

stevearne

This is a code question, not an Instructor topic, so I am moving it. Please feel free to continue the discussion in the appropriate code forum :)

[ October 05, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: stevearne ]

Status
Not open for further replies.