Tap Rule Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a subpanel with a 125 amp main being fed from a 200 amp main panel. The wiring to the subpanel are correct in size and spliced above the main breaker of the 200 amp main using split bolt connectors. The sub panel is within the 25 foot rule and in conduit. The split bolt connectors are well insulated and protected inside the 200 amp panel. There is a disconnect between the meter and 200 amp main at the transformer on the street.

My question is. Is this a legal connection? If so, what code would it fall under? 240.21? or would it fall under a Line Side Connection Rule?

Tap Rules are a little confusing and any help would be appreciated..

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If everything is ahead of the service disconnects the feeder tap rules of Article 240 do not apply since you have service entrance conductors (SEC's) not a feeder. I might be slightly confused by the words "service leads".

Welcome, to the Forum. :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The only thing I could possibly see, is that you have two service disconnects. They would need to be grouped. And the wiring ahead of the split bolts would need to be sized to carry the calculated load of both panels.

kwired

Electron manager
240.21 rules only apply if this is a feeder tap. If it is a tap on a service conductor there is no length limitations other than "nearest the point of entry".

Is the disconnect you mentioned outside considered to be the "service disconnect" or not? That is likely what will determine if this is service or feeder you are dealing with.

kwired

Electron manager
Its a service disconnect. Its between the meter and transformer located at the transformer. I can shut off the power and lock out from this disconnect to the building. Both the 200 amp main and 125 amp main are located indoors

If I understand you have POCO transformer>>>>disconnect 1>>>>>meter>>>>supply conductors to house>>>>your split bolts/tap then on to a 200 and a 125 amp main breaker panels from that tap point?

Does "disconnect 1" have overcurrent protection (fused disconnect, or a circuit breaker)? If not it is not the "service disconnecting means", and what you have into the house is still condidered by NEC to be service conductors. Seldom will POCO's allow a disconnect ahead of meters other than for purpose of servicing the meter, and when they do have that they usually lock it so there is no easy access to unmetered conductors - therefore no overcurrent devices and not a service disconnect.

If that is what you have, then your "tap" is a tap of the service conductors, 240.21 tap rules don't apply to service conductors.

You can make such a tap, if total calculated load on both service disconnecting means is less than the ampacity of the common supply conductor.

kwired

Electron manager
The 200 amp service panel does have a 200 amp main breaker.
When you mention this are you talking about the disconnect out by the meter or the 200 amp panel that you tapped the incoming lines to? It is important because knowing what is the "service disconnecting means" is critical to determining if you tapped onto a feeder or onto service conductors. A disconnect outside is not the NEC recognized "service disconnect" if it doesn't have associated overcurrent protection - usually means it is going to be a circuit breaker or a fused disconnect. If it is a non fused disconnect or circuit breaker, yes it will still interrupt service but it is not the "service disconnect" per NEC.

The tap is above the main breaker via split bolts that feed the 125 amp main with main breaker. There is 4 circuits of 15 amp each ( lights and wall outlets)

Status
Not open for further replies.