tap rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwpb58

questions regarding taping a off the load side of the main service disconnect with # 4 copper to feed a 60 amp garage service..looking for code reference, size of tap conductor, and breaker rating....thanks

jwelectric

Re: tap rules

I see that you are a building official so wait till in the morning and ask one of the electrical officials. They can give you a better answer as they are in your jurisdiction.
:)

templdl

"Tap"? I assume that you are either an electrician or a qualified person and, as such, have a copy of the NEC that is has been adopted for you area. Have you looked at the 10' and 25' tap rules in the NEC see see what you need to qualify your "tap" conductor? That's the first place to start.
Then regarding,
taping a off the load side of the main service disconnect
. Are the load side terminals listed such that the additional cables can be terminated there. I would venture to say that they are probably not listed for more than one cable for each terminal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

230.82(1)-(8) contains the rules regarding what can be tapped ahead of a service disconnect. I don't see garage services on the list.

pierre

"questions regarding taping a off the load side of the main service disconnect with # 4 copper to feed a 60 amp garage service..looking for code reference, size of tap conductor, and breaker rating....thanks"

Load side of main - that would be feeders, so Art 230 would not pertain to this question.

The question now is, is the "tap" supplied from a circuit breaker, or is it actually tapped to another conductor?

If in fact it is supplied from a circuit breaker, that is permitted.

hurk27

Ahead of the service disconnect would be service entrance conductors and 230.40 exception 3 allows just this. The connection can be made either on a listed lug for more then one conductor or by a listed connector such as a split bolt in a junction box or trough below the meter. If the conductors are totally on the out side of the building then no disconnect/protection (OCPD) should be required until they enter the garage. Then the panel at the garage has to be treated as a service and will require MBJ, GE, and disconnect.
I would say this is not a tap but a extension of the service entrance conductors to feed the garage as allowed in 230.40 exception 3. Done all the time around here. :D

Edited to add:
And it is allowed as per 230.82(4)
if provided with service equipment and installed in accordance with requirements for service-entrance conductors .

[ August 31, 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

hurk27

Now for the tap on the load side of the disconnect:

What are tap conductors?
240.3(3) Tap Conductors. As used in this article, a tap conductor is defined as a conductor, other than a service conductor, that has overcurrent protection ahead of its point of supply that exceeds the value permitted for similar conductors that are protected as described elsewhere in 240.4.
Where are they permitted?
240.4 Protection of Conductors.
Conductors, other than flexible cords, flexible cables, and fixture wires, shall be protected against overcurrent in accordance with their ampacities specified in 310.15, unless otherwise permitted or required in 240.4(A) through (G) .
And (E) directs us to 240.21
(E) Tap Conductors. Tap conductors shall be permitted to be protected against overcurrent in accordance with 210.19(A)(3) and (4), 240.5(B)(2), 240.21 , 368.11, 368.12, and 430.53(D).
And 240.21(B)(5) Allows it.
240.21(B)(5)
(5) Outside Taps of Unlimited Length. Where the conductors are located outdoors of a building or structure , except at the point of load termination, and comply with all of the following conditions:
As long as it meets the (1) through (4)

So yes it is allowed as long as it is done right. :D

[ August 31, 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

taping a off the load side of the main service disconnect
I have to start reading these things with my glasses on. I thought that it said the line side of the service disconnect.

pwpb58

this is the first time i have adventure with a code related issue into a forum setting. so let me say thanks those for there code knowledge and help with the tap rules...and especially for the insight from hurk27

Status
Not open for further replies.