Tap with MCS panelboard.

binwork91

Occupation
electrical engineer
I have a project, tap conductor feeds a panelboard with MCS (molded case switch).

Is MCS a overcurrent protective device?

In my opinion, MCS is not a overcurrent protective device, it does not provide overcurrent protection, it only has a fixed instantaneous self-protecting trip element which may open the switch under high fault conditions, therefore, we can not use 10ft tap, 25ft tap rule to feeds a panelboard with MCS.

What is your opinion?

I have a project, tap conductor feeds a panelboard with MCS (molded case switch).

Is MCS a overcurrent protective device?

In my opinion, MCS is not a overcurrent protective device, it does not provide overcurrent protection, it only has a fixed instantaneous self-protecting trip element which may open the switch under high fault conditions, therefore, we can not use 10ft tap, 25ft tap rule to feeds a panelboard with MCS.

What is your opinion?
A molded case switch is just a switch. You need an OCPD at the termination of the tap conductors.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can you use conductors to feed the panelboard that are large enough to be protected by the upstream overcurrent device? In other words, can you make this not be a "tap"?