Tapcons

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Tapcons have a pretty impressive pullout strength, depending on size, and 5 or 6 in a section of Unistrut can support a pretty impressive load. However, you should be mindful of the customer requirements, if any. The Port Authority of NY/NJ will not allow Tapcons or drop-in anchors or anything else to attach an overhead load to a concrete ceiling. The support would have to be cast-in during the pour.

garbo

Not a big fan of Tapcons. Even using thier drill bits usually have problem with some stripping out or not holding. I'm old school and like using 1/4 & 3/8" lead anchors set by the Greenlee tool that threads into it before setting the anchor. Have installed 3/8" lead anchors in ceilings and tied pulling block to it to pull cable up to 4/0 copper. Several times I installed two 1/4" lead anchors to mount a piece of unistrut in a ceiling to hoist a drive weighting over 150 #'s.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Some anchors like the "lead nail ins" are not approved for overhead use. Not a fan of Tap Cons myself. They seem to be hit or mis with me. Sometimes good results sometimes not so good.

For concrete I like the steel drop ins

For Block & Brick the block anchors are good

The sleeve type anchors are pretty good for concrete or block but the stud size is smaller than the drilled hole

I dislike the sleeve stud anchors with the small sleeve they just seem to creep when you tighten them.

JJWalecka

What do the installation instructions for Tapcons say?

R

Some anchors like the "lead nail ins" are not approved for overhead use. Not a fan of Tap Cons myself. They seem to be hit or mis with me. Sometimes good results sometimes not so good.

For concrete I like the steel drop ins

For Block & Brick the block anchors are good

The sleeve type anchors are pretty good for concrete or block but the stud size is smaller than the drilled hole

I dislike the sleeve stud anchors with the small sleeve they just seem to creep when you tighten them.
I was always under the assumption in a fire ALL the overhead lead anchors would fail. Im not a big fan

JJWalecka

Not a big fan of Tapcons. Even using thier drill bits usually have problem with some stripping out or not holding. I'm old school and like using 1/4 & 3/8" lead anchors set by the Greenlee tool that threads into it before setting the anchor. Have installed 3/8" lead anchors in ceilings and tied pulling block to it to pull cable up to 4/0 copper. Several times I installed two 1/4" lead anchors to mount a piece of unistrut in a ceiling to hoist a drive weighting over 150 #'s.
Appreciate your input