tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildman

customer called....circuit breaker tripping on range...removed j-box cover and found short...homeowner had purchased new range/oven about 2 years ago....used proper split-bolt for al/cu connection....saved a little money and bought the 3 rolls for a buck tape....trying to remove tape from splice was like pulling taffy. remade all connections with high quality..$3 a roll tape. do any of you use the cheapo tape for elec repairs? this was a customer diy... advised him to use the good stuff next time!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: tape

We never use the cheap tape. Only 33+, but in our shop we have to hide it or it walks away. A tip your homeowner won't know is to make the first wraps sticky side out, and then finish up in the regular manner.

iwire

Staff member

I do not have control on what the purchasing dept buys for tape.

It is cheap stuff, however we would not use this tape buy itself on a split bolt connection.

First the split bolt would be wrapped with rubber splicing tape.

99z009_small.jpg

Don't you guys use something other than scotch 33 for a split bolt connection?

noxx

I was taught to, and always do, use rubber type when making a split bolt connection. These days however, I am no longer obligated by a penny-pinching super to use only the cheapest, and just spring for "polaris" type fittings 9 times out of 10. They're easy to use, and take out, and well worth it.

On the tape issue Scotch 33 is what I use alright, but like Tom said, you have to keep an eye on it.

tonyi

Some ScotchFill smooths out the odd shape of a large split bolt - much easier to tape up when prep'd with that stuff.

Scotch 32 is also thick and nicely conforming as an undertape for smaller split bolts. A bit pricy, but nice.

wildman

thanks to all for their response! I primarily work in an industrial environment...it is common to use 3 types of tape when making a splice...1. a layer of vc(varnished cambric) 2.a layer of rubber(scotch 130C) and 3. a good wrapping of scotch 33 to finish it up. easy to remove when replacing motors! wildman

pierre

Some guys do not realize that 300 rolls of Scotch 33 is $1100. It is very easy to go through 300 rolls, so I use the Sotch 700, which is $1.49 a roll and works much better than most of the $.49/roll tapes. I do keep the 33, but like these guys have mentioned, it becomes invisible. It is amazing how certain things disappear off the shelf. Such as tape, wirenuts, boxes, screws and washers, grounding screws/barrels, etc... and these items add up quick. Forget about wire, you would think your shop was the only place selling this stuff :eek:

My ex boss had a shop making 20 million/year. When he walked through a job site and saw a wirenut on the floor he would pick it up and walk over to the nearest electrician, ask him for a quarter and give him the wirenut. At the time he had 175 men in the field, he said if each one dropped 1 wirenut a day, it would add up to 35,000 wirenuts a year.WOW That is almost $ 3,000 in wirenuts being swept up by the laborers.

Pierre

[ November 29, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Wildman:
A far easier, faster and better method to make motor connections is a product from T&B called a motor stub boot. Its a rubber boot that slips over the one hole lug bolted connections. As the motor leads have one hole lugs, the conductors from the controller only need one hole lugs.
the advantage of the motor stub boot is that it can be reused, one for a 4 awg conductor costs about $8.00, with a huge savings in time over using three types of tape. They been around for about 20 years
here is the link:
http://elec-cat.tnb.com/tnbcat/tnbcat/webcat_search_results_dsp2.build_part_home_page?p_catalog_code=SHRK&p_category_hier_id=SHR66&p_part_nbr=MSC8&p_search_indic_flg=T

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Pierre thanks for the tip on scotch 170!
I use a self fusing silcon tape from 3M "70" its $20 a roll, but is excellent for radio coax connectors.

wildman

tom....thanks for the info....the company has used the same method of splicing for 30 years( as long as I have been there) they sometimes bring vendors in to demonstrate new materials, but they always go back to the tape...it was not until about 3 years ago we got the ok to use wirenuts in (some) applications! always tape..tape...tape! go figure...we have about 4,500 motors throughout the company! thanks again!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I had a 100 hp fire pump motor someone had connected with split bolts, putty and tape. I had to repull the wire, it took hours to clean up the motor leads. Split bolts get used a lot as they are "on the truck". Wildman give your T&B rep a call and ask for a sample. they also make a motor lug/boot combo that is designed to disconnect the motor leads with no tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.