Taped Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtronical1

In my industrial experience, I have found different opinions in wiring methods concerning splices and adding tape to the wirenuts. Although it is a good idea, one that I feel makes the joint more secure and less probably to outside elements, I have had diffenrent views on this.

What is the norm where you are at? Do you tape your wirenuts after making a splice in peckerheads or j-boxes or do you feel the wirenut, when properly used, is suffecient enough to complete the splice?

Just wondering...

480sparky

I have seen wirenuts installed with tape, but I have never done so myself. In the long run, the tape will let go, and therefore serve no purpose.

cadpoint

newtronical1 said:
What is the norm where you are at? Do you tape your wirenuts after making a splice in peckerheads or j-boxes or do you feel the wirenut, when properly used, is suffecient enough to complete the splice?

Just wondering...
No
Had a long thought about both of these, there are holes in most boxes and depending on the class of motors there might be weap or slots at most motor connections.
Wet, Yes ... JMO

fourteen/two

A sure sign

A sure sign

When ever I come across taped wirenuts I know someone being doing electric who shouldn't be, A sure sign of worse things ahead.

Also be amused where someone went thru the trouble to tape up the wirenuts, but somehow felt putting the joints in a box too much hassle

wbalsam1

I've done countless jobs over the years where the old-tyme electricians had soldered their connections and used tape to cover them. That taping job held up for scores of years and was a real pain to un-tape.

When I was doing electrical work I used scotch 33 and taped my redheads on, and taped my wirenuts. I always reasoned that tape was an insulator that would help contain any arcs that potentially could occur from any loose connections. I always tried to make every connection tight, but liked the extra precaution. :smile:

wbalsam1

stickboy1375 said:
I think the electrical box will contain any non intended arcing....

Oh, my god. I must have been a horrible electrician. I even taped my receptacles! :confused:

My helper used to tape my pliers together so they wouldn't open....maybe he was trying to tell me something all that time and I just didn't get it. :confused: :)

iwire

Staff member
wbalsam1 said:
Oh, my god. I must have been a horrible electrician. I even taped my receptacles! :confused:

OH.........your one of those guys.............:grin:

I always told my apprentices 'tape is for homeowners'. :grin:

I will admit when we have open splices on temp wiring (as allowed by the NEC) I will tape the wire nuts.

wbalsam1

iwire said:
OH.........your one of those guys.............:grin:

I always told my apprentices 'tape is for homeowners'. :grin:

I will admit when we have open splices on temp wiring (as allowed by the NEC) I will tape the wire nuts.

I had no choice but to evolve into an inspector...the supply houses ran out of tape. :grin:

I'm also in the no tape camp.

except... on a job like I was on about two years ago where I didn't trust the other guy who was on the site with me. I made a point of doing ALL the J box make up myself and then I taped EVERY wirenut to discourage the "curious george" from going into these behind me.

76nemo

Late in.

Late in.

Somewhat new to the forum, and baffled to see this concern, I'll ask another common question I have yet to see risen here. Do you twist your wires together, or allow the wirenut to do so? Bob, I am ONE of those guys, yes, I usually tape. I tape to shew away the elements, I tape an inch down past the wire nut to assure a pivot point other than the joint itself in case of vibration or movement.
Thee only other thing I have to add is I don't buy anything except 33, and tape them properly.
Let the beatings begin:grin:

Krim

wbalsam1 said:

My helper used to tape my pliers together so they wouldn't open....maybe he was trying to tell me something all that time and I just didn't get it. :confused: :)

I've kinda gotten into the habit of taping around receptacles myself over the years mostly when a duplex is in a handi box sized metal wall box,you know,the small ones that have the ear tabs to keep ya from loosing it into the wall and you secure it with 2 'F' straps (the adda box).
Is this a bad habit considering the proximity of the hot screw heads to the securing straps ?
Carl :confused:

mdshunk

When I see tape on wirenuts, that screams out to me, "A handyman was here". That said, the instructions for some fixtures specifically say to tape up your wire nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.