tapped at lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ox110

In the building I am working in there is a 400a distribution board. The DP is feed with a set of 500mcm and terminates on a set double lugs. Off of these double lugs is another set of #2mcm which feeds a 125a circuit breaker that supplies a service elevator. This 125a circuit breaker enclosure is located right next to the 400a DP with the wires being no more than 6 feet in length. The DP has its own 400a main circuit breaker.

Question-Is this a allowed under NEC guidlines. Would this be considered a tap. And if so a little help with the tap rules would be great.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
In the building I am working in there is a 400a distribution board. The DP is feed with a set of 500mcm and terminates on a set double lugs. Off of these double lugs is another set of #2mcm which feeds a 125a circuit breaker that supplies a service elevator. This 125a circuit breaker enclosure is located right next to the 400a DP with the wires being no more than 6 feet in length. The DP has its own 400a main circuit breaker.

Sounds 240.21(B)(1) compliant to me.

Question-Is this a allowed under NEC guidlines. Would this be considered a tap. And if so a little help with the tap rules would be great.

See the definition of tap Conductor in 240.2.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It would be allowed here but a total load calculation would have to be submitted verifying a total load of less than 380 amps per phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.