Tapping inside a service switch with polaris connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I need 20kW worth of power. The only easiest solution I have found is to grab power from this existing 200A service switch with 200A fuses. I will be doing a 220.87 load study but I think it has the capacity for it. This service switch is feeding a panelboard which will be left alone.

My question is, can we use polaris connectors inside the service switch to do the tap? There is another knockout on the left side for the new conduit, the new conduit will penetrate behind the service switch into a wall. Is that feasible? can the knockout and
penetration be made without taking apart the service switch? see picture

ss.jpg

How long does it usually take to install polaris connectors inside the service switch?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wouldn't swapping in dual lugs be faster, easier, and cheaper?

Tap rules might apply, depending on the added wire size.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Wouldn't swapping in dual lugs be faster, easier, and cheaper?

Tap rules might apply, depending on the added wire size.
I have thought of that, but wouldn't that void UL listing since we are modifying the disconnect switch lugs?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have thought of that, but wouldn't that void UL listing since we are modifying the disconnect switch lugs?
Oh, who cares?! Maintaining listing is way overrated. :rolleyes: (Kidding, somewhat.)

Do we really know whether those lugs were factory-installed or field-installed?

I would likely do it anyway. It's cleaner and neater as well as what I said above.

Added: And yes, you can add a conduit wherever you like, side or back wall.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Oh, who cares?! Maintaining listing is way overrated. :rolleyes: (Kidding, somewhat.)

I would likely do it anyway. It's cleaner and neater as well as what I said above.
I agree with you, it is way more practical to do it that way. But the problem is if someone asks me why I suggested it if it breaks UL listing, I wouldn't know how to answer them lol. Isn't it code to not break UL listing?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with you, it is way more practical to do it that way. But the problem is if someone asks me why I suggested it if it breaks UL listing, I wouldn't know how to answer them lol. Isn't it code to not break UL listing?
I do: "Oh, who cares?!" :sneaky:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are allowed to use Polaris connectors, provided there's enough space.
Maybe not if you are on the 2020 NEC. This is from the end of 230.46:
Effective January 1, 2023, pressure connectors and devices for splices and taps installed on service conductors shall be marked “suitable for use on the line side of the service equipment” or equivalent.
As far as I know there are no connectors so marked on the market at this time.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)

I am proposing to tap on the load side of service switch, load side of service switch are not service conductors so I think I'm in the clear. I am on NYC electrical code too

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Somebody didn’t think that through, it would end building meter groups using a wireway. You could only use factory built meter groups……Wait a minute, now we know who pushed that change through!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also I have another question. If I use a full sized feeder (200A), do I need to provide a separate disconnect switch near the tap?
How long would this feeder be? That's why I mentioned tap rules. You may or may not need them.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You don't violate a UL listing by modifying equipment, if that were true you would not be able put a hole in the disconnect for the conduit.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
You don't violate a UL listing by modifying equipment, if that were true you would not be able put a hole in the disconnect for the conduit.
Well, there is a knockout in the disconnect switch. It was designed for that specific purpose. I have to disagree with you respectfully

Status
Not open for further replies.