Tapping range branch circuit for contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Hello all, I am reading 210.19(A)(3) to see if what I'm envisioning is compliant. I'm currently working on submittals for a 300 unit assisted living facility and the plans call for the unit range power supply to be controlled on/off via a keyed pilot switch adjacent to the range. I'm wondering if it is allowed to tap from one leg of the range branch circuit and neutral conductor to power the keyed switch and subsequent contactor. I've read through what I believe the relevant article to be but the answer isn't really jumping out at me. I'm not opposed to putting an in-line fuse in the contactor enclosure but only if I have to. Any insight is appreciated

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Hello all, I am reading 210.19(A)(3) to see if what I'm envisioning is compliant. I'm currently working on submittals for a 300 unit assisted living facility and the plans call for the unit range power supply to be controlled on/off via a keyed pilot switch adjacent to the range. I'm wondering if it is allowed to tap from one leg of the range branch circuit and neutral conductor to power the keyed switch and subsequent contactor. I've read through what I believe the relevant article to be but the answer isn't really jumping out at me. I'm not opposed to putting an in-line fuse in the contactor enclosure but only if I have to. Any insight is appreciated

I don't believe that 210.19(A)(3) is the relevant section. I think the tap to the contactor control would be a Class 1 Remote Control and Signalling circuit per 725.41(B) (maybe someone else could chime in.) The tap would be per 725.45(C).

kwired

Electron manager
Your answer is in art 725, the conductor in question is a control circuit conductor covered by 725.

725.45(C) allows 300 percent conductor ampacity in your situation so a 40 amp range circuit must have at least 13.3 amp conductor and a 50 amp range circuit must have at least 16.6 amp conductor. 14 AWG (at 75C) is enough for either, if using NM cable you would need 12 AWG for 50 amp range circuit application.

Status
Not open for further replies.