Taps based on 240.21 (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saberger_vt

I am reviewing a set of plans that has 3#2/0 (+ GND not important for this discussion!) coming out of a panel "1M" (125A MCB) , and splitting in a wire trough so that there are now 2 sets of 3#2/0, each set going to separate MLO panels (panels "2N" and "2S"). From each of the MLO panels they run 3#2/0 to another MLO panel (panels "4S" and "4N" respectively). I am considering this a tap which means that they need to comply with 240.21 (B)(1) and/or 240.21 (B)(2). The question is, do they need to have the first set of panels ("2N" and "2S") have to be MCB or can they remain MLO per the code?

pete m.

If these 2/0 conductors (whether copper or aluminum assuming 75 degree terminals and wire) are protected at 125 amps they would not be considered tap conductors.

Tap Conductors. As used in this article, a tap conductor is
defined as a conductor, other than a service conductor, that
has overcurrent protection ahead of its point of supply that
exceeds the value permitted for similar conductors that are
protected as described elsewhere in 240.4.

Pete

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The panels do not need to be mb panels but I would not consider this to be a tap rule situation. The wire is protected at it's ampacity the entire way so this is nothing more than a feeder splice. As long as the ampacity of the conductor is appropriate for the 125 amps there should not be an issue.

Am I correct in saying that the wires are protected at the main panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.