Taps From Distribution Panel Lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAU069

I have seen a number of facilities that have
taps off the main lugs of the Main Service Distribution panel to either a second panel or fused/non-fused disconnect. Having trouble referencing a NEC Article for this type of
installation. TIA.

wirenut1980

Re: Taps From Distribution Panel Lugs

kfenn, that would apply, but only to tapping motor circuits. For a more general section on tap rules, see all of 240.21. :D

Edit to the original poster: After seeing your profile, it's nice to see another Enigneer (sp) on the board. ;) :p

[ June 20, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: wirenut1980 ]

templdl

taps off the main lugs of the Main Service Distribution panel
Unless each lug is listed for more than one cable then there is a code violation right from the getgo.
Should have either feed through or subfeed lugs in orner to do this.

mdshunk

I havn't seen any MDP lugs in a very long time in which the manufacturer of the panel of the manufactrer of the installed lug permitted more than one conductor per hole. I suppose that there's an outside chance that someone changed the lugs out for a 2 or 3 hole version.

jnsh2

it depends upon whether the tap is from the line or load side. A tap from the line side defeats the purpose of an overcurrent disconnect in that power will flow through the tap even if the disconenct is off. Also, the lug has tobe specifically designed for multiple connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.