taps on a farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

whofrankw

A customer wants a 30 amp panel upgraded on a farm. They have a pole on the driveway with a two hundred amp line that taps in multiple directions..house, and a couple barns and garages. In one direction a line is run to a small cottage and tapped to a garage which has the 30 amp panel. So basically a bunch of taps at the pole, then one to a cottage with a tap to the garage. I think the triplex is a #4 aluminum. its old and I wouldn't know until I open it. Would I be able to put a 60 amp breaker out there with this line or since the cottage is there I would need to run a new line to the pole. (Im trying to avoid that)

We would need more details about what is at the terminus if the taps. Outside feeder taps can be unlimited length, but need to terminate on an OCPD with a setting not exceeding the ampacity of the taps. Also sounds like you may have a "tap a tap" violation.

whofrankw

One of the lines from the pole goes to two places, the cottage and the garage. The line goes directly to the garage but there is a tap halfway to the cottage. Everything terminates to OCPD (I believe, I havent been in the cottage but I'm assuming there is a panel). The 30 amp panel keeps blowing fuses because he is running wood working equipment. I don't know the specs yet, I am just trying to figure out if what he wants is up to code without major work. Seems like it is a tap tap...I couldn't upload pictures because they were too large and I don't have the time to figure out how to make them smaller at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.