taps on recept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elect36

I need some help looking something up in the code but I'm not even sure if it is there. I dont know if it is code or just something someone came up with. I've heard that at a receptacle if you have just say for example a 12-2 nm romex coming in from the panel to a nm plastic box and a 12-2 nm romex leaving out of the box for the rest of the receps. that it was now code you had to make T taps on all your wires and only have one hot wire to the recep and one neutral and you can't take one white wire coming in to one screw and one white wire going out to the other screw like it has always been done. they say because if that tab were to burn out and you had t taps then the rest of the circuit would still be complete. but if it stayed the other way that everyone is use to doing and the tab burned the rest of the circuit would be open and that is what they dont want. i tried to look in the code but couldn't find it. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

iwire

Staff member
Re: taps on recept.

elect36 The only time the NEC requires pig tailing at a device is when the Neutral is part of a multiwire branch circuit.

In that case you would be required to pigtail the white but you could feed through the device with the hot.

elect36

what section of the code is that about the multiwire. maybe around that section it says or maybe not though.

celtic

I vaugley recall there being an exception that required the neutral on a 20A(15A ?) device be "spliced through" in a commercial application...still looking.

celtic

Originally posted by elect36:
what section of the code is that about the multiwire.
300.13(B)

[EDIT: ...still looking for my recollection]

[ July 27, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

[EDIT: ...still looking for my recollection]
I don't think that you'll find it because it doesn't exist.

Back to the original post, you would need to tail off the neutral in a multiwire branch circuit not in a two wire circuit. And in all circuits the ground must be tailed off, hence only one ground screw on the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.