Taps, Physical Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devin Hanes

Would anyone mind trying to explain to me why these parts of the "tap" rules are necessary? Are you allowed to use wiring methods that are not allowed to be exposed to physical damage without providing some kind of additional approved physical protection?

Thanks

240.21(A) (2017)
(1) (10')
(3) Except at the point of connection to the feeder, the tap conductors are enclosed in a raceway, which extends from the tap to the enclosure of an enclosed switchboard, switchgear, a panelboard, or control devices, or to the back of an open switchboard.

(2) (<25')
(3) The tap conductors are protected from physical damage by being enclosed in an approved raceway or by other approved means.

(3) (25')
(4) The primary and secondary conductors are protected from physical damage by being enclosed in an approved raceway or by other approved means.

(4) (>25')
(5) The tap conductors are protected from physical damage by being enclosed in an approved raceway or by other approved means.

(5) (Outside)
(1) The tap conductors are protected from physical damage in an approved manner.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What it's saying is that you cannot use something like NM cable, you must use a raceway and when you choose a type of raceway it has to be suitable to provide protection from physical damage.

Devin Hanes

What it's saying is that you cannot use something like NM cable, you must use a raceway and when you choose a type of raceway it has to be suitable to provide protection from physical damage.
Thanks, that's how I read it to but just watching the new Holt videos they were saying you could use NM. I'm curious what others think about it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks, that's how I read it to but just watching the new Holt videos they were saying you could use NM. I'm curious what others think about it.
Really that's interesting, I could be wrong but I always found those words that you posted to be quite clear.

Carultch

The 10 ft rule states that it must be in a raceway, while the 25 ft and outside unlimited counterparts to these rules, aren't as definite and state "must be protected from physical damage". What is the reason behind this difference? And what would be an example of protecting from physical damage without using a raceway? Most people probably would just put it in a raceway anyhow, to avoid any question about it.

Would it allow the conductors meeting the ampacity minimum of the 25 ft rule in metal clad cable, while if you were depending on ampacity allowances of the 10 ft rules, you'd have to use a raceway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 10 ft rule states that it must be in a raceway, while the 25 ft and outside unlimited counterparts to these rules, aren't as definite and state "must be protected from physical damage". What is the reason behind this difference? And what would be an example of protecting from physical damage without using a raceway? Most people probably would just put it in a raceway anyhow, to avoid any question about it.

Would it allow the conductors meeting the ampacity minimum of the 25 ft rule in metal clad cable, while if you were depending on ampacity allowances of the 10 ft rules, you'd have to use a raceway?
The first four taps types in the OP all say in one way or another that they conductors must be in a raceway so unless Devin has misquoted the NEC I don't see how a cable would be permitted.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If I am not mistaken at one time the 10' and 25' taps had to be in a metal raceway. This apparently is no longer the case. Now it just says raceway so it looks like nonmetallic is fine.

What about taps in a 'wireway"? do they comply? is that a raceway? Looks like cable outside is ok if protected from physical damage

Carultch

If I am not mistaken at one time the 10' and 25' taps had to be in a metal raceway. This apparently is no longer the case. Now it just says raceway so it looks like nonmetallic is fine.

What about taps in a 'wireway"? do they comply? is that a raceway? Looks like cable outside is ok if protected from physical damage

Yes, a wireway would count as a raceway. Any fully enclosed method of containing wires is a raceway

paulengr

Protected from physical damage can mean for instance mounted off the ground where a ladder, man lift, or bucket truck is required for access, or fenced in. Not just in a raceway. This kind of construction method can be a bit “old school” but it’s easy to work with if done neatly and you have the space. I’ve seen some real nightmare messes though. Places I was nervous about getting close to never mind servicing.

Technically if you spliced say exposed run rated cable or SOOW with say double barrel crimped lugs and used an approved splicing method like using heat shrink heavy wall adhesive lined tubing you could do it out in the open. This isn’t for the tap rule but this splicing method is often used with submersible wells, various construction/excavation (temporary wiring) and marine applications. The splice is stronger than the cable if done properly.

The thing about the tap rules to remember is either we are working typically in a situation where the downstream overcurrent protection rather than upstream is providing the protective function. Technically this happens all the time although not as a result of the tap rule. Primary fuses on a transformer for instance rarely give much if any overload protection to the secondary side let alone the transformer itself. Despite the lack of protection from overloads the unprotected cable is really in very little danger unless a fault happens on the unprotected cable that does not trip the primary protection and bypasses the secondary protection. This applies for instance also to “double tapping” the transformer secondary. The tap rules are there to allow this to be done safely but the physical protection rules are there to prevent faults during accidents. I have seen situations where bollards around these areas are necessary even with raceways installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.