Target market

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
Good morning and happy new year!

Should I try to deviate from all that I have known or done for the last 30 years?

Do any of you see or know an area within the electrical realm that there is a lack of or need for more qualified technicians.

Trying to find a niche!
A place to focus marketing $$.

Definitely not new construction. Can’t compete. But if the right circumstances would do.

30 years of resi and comm, whatever the need. Is this still the right area, the most lucrative?

Is renewable energy the area?
Is it industrial controls?
Is there need I am not thinking about, don’t know about?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What's your favorite jobs to do. Do what you love or atleast like and see how to make money doing it.

Com/resi small service calls

Generators

If multi talented refrigerant stuff

Super fancy led tape stuff ($$$)

Data and or FA

2 week + industrial controls or so

Big multi year projects

Kitchen/ bath remodels

TIs, gas stations, restaurants, and new resi aren't money makers unless you're 20.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You have to take what becomes available. Sometimes you like it, other times not so much. You will go broke only taking stuff that you like. Besides, it might lead to a very profitable niche that you just are not involved with at present.

The place I work at has reinvented itself a bunch of times in my 30+ years here. It is almost unrecognizable from what it was when I started. We still do some of the same things but what used to be the biggest chunks are long gone.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The place I work at has reinvented itself a bunch of times in my 30+ years here. It is almost unrecognizable from what it was when I started. We still do some of the same things but what used to be the biggest chunks are long gone.
Apparently people were writing about the concept of re-invention and adapting to change for business school textbooks, before my 1990's undergraduate degree in business. The concept was not part of my undergraduate curriculum, and wasn't understood until 30yrs later when my daughter went to that school, and showed up with The Lean Startup by Eric Ries.

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
What's your favorite jobs to do. Do what you love or atleast like and see how to make money doing it.

Com/resi small service calls

Generators

If multi talented refrigerant stuff

Super fancy led tape stuff ($$$)

Data and or FA

2 week + industrial controls or so

Big multi year projects

Kitchen/ bath remodels

TIs, gas stations, restaurants, and new resi aren't money makers unless you're 20.
What is super fancy led tape stuff? Sounds fun

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I liked whole house rewires. They were a lot of work but I found a few customers willing to pay for it. I liked that I could walk away knowing I put good stuff in and did it right, top to bottom. Other guys were doing them but they weren't always their favored projects. This was 2008-2013. In better times, I could have done well with WWR as a specialty. Sadly, not enough of them at the time & not lots of other work either.