Task Lighting for Hazardous location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We have some braze welders that use hydrogen gas . The operators sit at a table and weld small type parts . They are asking for better lighting right where the part sits . Any idea on a good goose neck type light that would be rated for a hazardous location ? We have good lighting above them now . This has to do more with the operators just getting older and asking for better lighting at the part in front of them roughly where their hands would be ...

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
My "gut" reaction is that, with the welding activity, the location probably doesn't need to be classified at all. That said, there are plenty of suitable stanchion mounted luminaires available -ask your friendly local wholesaler. Be careful to check Section 501.130(B)(4) which essentally requires portable luminaires to be suitable for Division 1.

luckylerado

Find a good dock light. You can get these that are listed for classified areas if that is truly what you need. We have put these over workbench areas in the past and they work really well. They are pretty stiff so I would bet you could ceiling mount it if you wanted to.

274306_1wco.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
I kind of have to agree with Bob - the fact you are welding there means you already have ignition source present very frequently - more important may be ventilation issues - which probably already are in place just because of the process you have there. Is other electrical items in the vicinity installed as if it were a classified area?

But at same time you don't want hydrogen gas migrating through wiring methods to get away from this area - but proper ventilation setup can mostly eliminate this problem I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.