TB labels on wires- panel wiring

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twophase

When wiring between two panels, each with terminal blocks, how are wires labeled?

Would the wires be leveled as such:
Wire goes from TB1-5 in panel 1 to TB3-6 in panel 2. Would each end call out the other side (I.e. where the wire goes to)? In this example, the wire landed on TB1-5 would call out TB3-6 in the other panel

Or, is there a standard way?

kwired

Electron manager
There is no one universal rule on how to do this, and definitely not a NEC rule other than some situations like identification of grounded or grounding conductors.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When wiring between two panels, each with terminal blocks, how are wires labeled?

Would the wires be leveled as such:
Wire goes from TB1-5 in panel 1 to TB3-6 in panel 2. Would each end call out the other side (I.e. where the wire goes to)? In this example, the wire landed on TB1-5 would call out TB3-6 in the other panel

Or, is there a standard way?
As kwired says, there is no NEC requirement. Such things, if they exist, are spelled out in the contract document, via spec or drawing. For what it's worth, I'd identify the wire at both ends with the same information, but mirrored. So, "P1-TB1-5/P2-TB3-6" at panel 1, and "P2-TB3-6/P1-TB1-5" at panel 2. The reason for self-identifying at the panel of origin is in case, 10 years down the road, someone pulls off 2 wires at once, they know where they go back.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It could be just a sequence of numbers on each wire, 1, 2, 3 same number on each end, simple but if removed not clear what terminals they go back on.
Or use TB1-5 on each end.
I labeled the wires according to how they are controlled, if from a control panel I use those terminal numbers each end. If its control from another source, I use those numbers.
Perhaps the best way is TB1-5/TB3-6 so you know where its from and where it goes to.
And most importantly, updated drawings to go with your wiring identification

tkb

I number every wire uniquely and keep a schedule with the “to” and “from” info for each wire that includes equipment designation and terminal number.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All valid approaches. There is no standard that applies.

Or conversely you could apply this statement (attributed to Andrew Tanenbaum, a famous Professor of Computer Sciences):
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from..."

Status
Not open for further replies.