TC-ER

jes25

Occupation
Electrician
This picture has a run of TC ER ran from the cable tray to the devices. In between the device and tray there is a section raceway you can see for support of the cable. Do you think this is acceptable per the NEC? Please provide reference.

75026589697__3C6B3C53-5661-4B56-A598-8D786865C57D.jpeg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This picture has a run of TC ER ran from the cable tray to the devices. In between the device and tray there is a section raceway you can see for support of the cable. Do you think this is acceptable per the NEC? Please provide reference.

View attachment 2573830
I think it is acceptable. The conduit that comes out of the cable tray provides protection and support. This is pretty much what TC-ER is made for.

jes25

Occupation
Electrician
You first. Tell us why you think it's unacceptable.

-Hal
My concern is the "continuous support" requirement. Don't have my code book with me, but my reading says TC-ER must be continuously supported when out of the tray. What does continuous mean?

Edit: Found the reference regarding continuous support. 336.10 (7) (c):

c. The cable is continuously supported and protected against physical damage using mechanical protection such as struts, angles, or channels.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
So, your concern is the long loop from the end of the conduit to the equipment not complying with 336.10(7)(C)? I think if the conduit were extended lower and with a 90 over to the equipment that would greatly reduce the free cable.

-Hal

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
This picture has a run of TC ER ran from the cable tray to the devices.
IMHO, equipment is fed from RMC LB emerging from side of cabinet, making a u-turn underneath tray.
Do you think this is acceptable per the NEC?
Yes, since cable quick connectors are needed for replacement of devices, and conduit would get in the way of servicing that equipment.
Please provide reference.
IMHO, 110.27 "Accessible only to qualified persons", given the gated perimeter.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
IMHO, equipment is fed from RMC LB emerging from side of cabinet, making a u-turn underneath tray.
Dunno about that, not that it makes any difference.

... since cable quick connectors are needed for replacement of devices, and conduit would get in the way of servicing that equipment.
I didn't say that I would run the conduit all the way to the connectors.

-Hal