telecom ground wire in power conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

One of our low voltage guys caught an installation he assumes is a code violation on a telecommunications grounding system. Apologies in advance for butchering the terms. We have a telecom ground bar in a data closet. The green grounding conductor terminates on the bar, routes up the wall, pops into a box containing power conductors, and uses the conduit (containing power conductors) to route to whatever other ground bar it connects to in another room. I could not find anything in NEC 800 that prohibits this. I'm guessing he didn't find anything in the spec or the BICSI standards or else he wouldn't be reaching out to the engineer. Anyone know if this is a code violation?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that the NEC cares if it's in the same conduit with the power conductors. I've seen this done where they failed to run a separate raceway for the telecom ground.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Would it make a difference if that ground conductor terminated on the ground bar of a sub-panel and the telecom ground came off that ground bar? I don't think so.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.