Telecom Room used as storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

qms006

Is there a code (NEC, NFPA, BICSI, TIA or EIA) that dictates that a Telecom room in a commercial building can not be used to store supplies (paper, paper towels, computer monitors, etc)?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I know that the NEC has no similar rule prohibiting storage in an electric room, or even use of an electric room as an office. The only related requirement is that working space be maintained in front of every panel. A coworker whose area of expertise is in telecommunications (he has the RCDD certification) informed me that he knows of no rule in the BISCI world to prohibit storage in a telecom room. He has heard of telecom rooms being uses as offices. He called it a poor practice, but could not call it a code violation.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
600 Volts, nominal, or less. This paragraph applies to electric equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground.

There is a difference between low voltage electrical systems and low voltage (CL3, CL2 and communications) systems. As much as I would like that article to apply, it doesn't. There is just no legal way to stop janitors from leaning mops and brooms on telecom equipment.

-Hal

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
29 CFR 1910.303(g) talks about low voltage systems. Specifically, when talking about work space, para 1910.303(g)(1)(ii) states: Working space required by this standard may not be used for storage.
The NEC also forbids the working space to be used for storage. But the "working space" is generally a small portion of the room in which electrical panels are located. The rest of the room can be used for storage, so long as the areas in front of the panels are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.