telecomm design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Hello everybody:smile:
I'm junior electrical engineer and I would like to know some information about telecomm system design and its components any one can help on that?
Thank you for your time

mimo

I don't have specific question, but I like to know the components of the system and wire types, but i might come up with a few question later on
Thank you

mdshunk

amingomaa, Can you hear me now?

tin_cans_and_string.jpg

mimo

:)that's was funny but i'm asked to think about design for telecomm system infrastructure for a resort and i need something to start with

mdshunk

amingomaa said:
:)that's was funny but i'm asked to think about design for telecomm system infrastructure for a resort and i need something to start with
The type of wire and such is pretty system dependant. Pick a vendor, and go from there.

dereckbc

Staff member
amingomaa said:
I don't have specific question, but I like to know the components of the system and wire types, but i might come up with a few question later on
OK, the components are the switch, transport between switches, and cable plant to get a line to your house. Before long copper line will be antiquated and replaced with fiber like I have at my home.

dereckbc

Staff member
amingomaa said:
You need a PBX (private Branch exchage) or a very small switch for private use like a Nortel Meridian. But I can tell you that you are in way over your head.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
amingomaa said:

Infrastucture? Whats available? Give them all you can with consideration for future expansion.

gar

Occupation
EE
080408-2215 EST

amingomaa:

You might indicate where you are located, what school, what is your class level, what is the nature of the class (a system class, DC circuits, AC circuits, a senior level design course), and an exact description of the question.

Often times you have to try to find the correct question because the question presented may not be total question. It might even be totally wrong.

You might make some assumptions. The system will be analog, only passive elements in instruments (except for tone generation), connection is thru copper wires, any power is supplied from the central office or whatever, but no power is provided at a destination instrument, touch-tone signaling is used, any instrument can connect to any other instrument or to outside lines, a maximum of 12 communication paths can exist, and so on.

quogueelectric

Suttle makes a nice wallet card that has a lot of the basics on it for an electrician who doesnt do it all the time but does enough to have to know the basic phone punchdowns. It pisses off a lot of phone guys because it takes a lot of the mystery out of it. Ialso bought an ideal naviteck network analyzer which takes even more mystery out of it and you have to due some of your own DD to find out what all of this means. This can be very profitable when you can set up a simple network phone cable system in a house at 100 dollars a run. I will average 6-8 locations per house X3 which is 2400$ for 500$ in material punch down a few ethernet jacks crimp a dozen coax and show me the money while you are going to run wires to all these rooms anyway it is worth learning. I look at it as the icing on my cake. http://www.suttleonline.com/ Btw throw Suttle some buisness when you know what you are doing they are verry good.

LV grider

quogueelectric said:
Suttle makes a nice wallet card that has a lot of the basics on it for an electrician who doesnt do it all the time but does enough to have to know the basic phone punchdowns. It pisses off a lot of phone guys because it takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

Those little cards are a perfect way to provide someone with just enough information to become dangerous!:)

Rampage_Rick

amingomaa said:
- Core IP network: Everything is IP now so this is definitely the groundwork. When you say resort I think multiple facilities, so you're talking a Campus Area Network. In all likelyhood that will involve fiber optics, Gigabit switches, and the LAN within each facility. If it's anything like our 460 acres you'll also have to deal with things like point-to-point wireless, DSL, and IP routing.
- Telephony: Older phone systems (like Nortel MICS) were almost entirely separate from the IP network. You had to deal with copper lines everywhere you wanted a phone. Newer systems (Nortel BCM, Cisco Unified Communications) can run over the IP network with minor additional configuration for security and reliability purposes.
- Video: Assuming that your resort has some kind of hospitality aspect, you'll likely be providing video to your guests. At a minimum you'll want basic TV service ("Free to Guest") but you'll likely be considering in-room movies, interactive checkout, etc. We're still in the planning stages but we're focusing on video-over-IP that's entirely HD. Somewhere around 50 HD channels off satellite Free-to-Guest, and a library of HD movies on demand. Of course this will run over IP, but careful planning is needed regarding bandwith and network optimization.
- CCTV and Access Control: If there are any thoughts of implementing these features at a resort, you want them to be IP-enabled, mainly for scalability reasons. We're in the midst of our third major CCTV upgrade. At first we only had 16 cameras in one facility, which necessitated a standalone DVR. Then we needed additional cameras in another facility, with everything monitored from one location, necessitating a new pair of DVRs. Most recently there has been a need to add a third facility, whereby the decision was made to buy top-level NVR software that scales to a practically limitless number of cameras over hundreds of sites. As an added bonus, a pure IP CCTV system doesn't require a separate cabling infrastructure. We have yet to look at site-wide access control, but I'm looking forward to it, as my keyring weighs more than a pound (at one point I had 65+ keys)

Status
Not open for further replies.