Telecomm Ground Bar - Not Bonded to main elec room ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum

Hey guys,
I have a 2nd Floor IDF room that has a telecom ground bar (TGB). The racks are bonded to it, however, the contractor did not install the #6 bonding conductor that is supposed to go from the TGB to the main service ground bar in the 1st floor elec room which thus is tied to the grounding electrode system.

Instead, he just runs a bonding conductor from the TGB to a nearby panelboard's equipment grounding bus inside the panel. Is that a code violation? I know its not good practice to mix telecomm grounds and electrical grounds until you are at the main elec service room where they all tie together.

Building is now finished and contractor is concerned about routing new bonding wire all the way back to elec room. Trying to find an alternate solution...

Thanks,

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hey guys,
I have a 2nd Floor IDF room that has a telecom ground bar (TGB). The racks are bonded to it, however, the contractor did not install the #6 bonding conductor that is supposed to go from the TGB to the main service ground bar in the 1st floor elec room which thus is tied to the grounding electrode system.

Instead, he just runs a bonding conductor from the TGB to a nearby panelboard's equipment grounding bus inside the panel. Is that a code violation? I know its not good practice to mix telecomm grounds and electrical grounds until you are at the main elec service room where they all tie together.

Building is now finished and contractor is concerned about routing new bonding wire all the way back to elec room. Trying to find an alternate solution...

Thanks,

this is not a code issue.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hey guys,

Thanks,

why would this be?

it might be a common spec but whether it is meaningful in any way is something else.

in any case, the PB ground bus eventually ties back to the GES for the building, which is presumably what you think should be done.

Platinum

why would this be?

it might be a common spec but whether it is meaningful in any way is something else.

in any case, the PB ground bus eventually ties back to the GES for the building, which is presumably what you think should be done.

Yes, common spec.........BICSI folks, IEEE Emerald, etc.

ron

why would this be?

The thought is to not mix until you get to the main grounding electrode bar, so there would be some wire impedance to dampen affect from an electrical grounding system from transmitting to a telecom grounding system (of course connected together at one point anyhow)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The thought is to not mix until you get to the main grounding electrode bar, so there would be some wire impedance to dampen affect from an electrical grounding system from transmitting to a telecom grounding system (of course connected together at one point anyhow)

one wonders if that actually serves any useful purpose given all the conductive paths in most buildings that would tend to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.