Telephone conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

At what depth should tel/cable conduit be buried beneath grade and beneath roadways? and based on what guideline(s)

Thanks,

Mike

Jhaney

Okay now that I'm home and can look it up. According to AT&T's Outside Plant Engineering Handbook section 8 page 32. Minimum depth under a highway is 48". The cable has to be encased in RMC and this is only a 2 lane highway, 4 lane highways require state approval and they will tell you what depth to place your cable.
Now Cable TV on the other hand requires 36" depth under 2 lane highways and also requires the cable to be encased in RMC.
By the way don't forget to get your road department permit. Trust me it sucks to upset them and have them remove your cable for you.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mshields said:
At what depth should tel/cable conduit be buried beneath grade and beneath roadways? and based on what guideline(s)

Thanks,

Mike

As per NEC? Trick question? See 330.5 for the burial depth of the conduit. Pull your wire, then see 725.3 and forget about 300.5.:roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I dont know about other areas of the country, but few contractors here install to AT&T's Handbook, and they manage to get by.
That 1/4 diameter cable pulled theu that 4" GRC often seems a bit extreme.:smile:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
augie47 said:
I dont know about other areas of the country, but few contractors here install to AT&T's Handbook, and they manage to get by.
That 1/4 diameter cable pulled theu that 4" GRC often seems a bit extreme.:smile:

I have seen them lay it on the ground over driveways. Some of the sub-contractors Verizon hires are a few fries short of a Happy Meal. That same job had the ground wire bonded to plastic conduit.

Jhaney

To be fair the original question was about cable not buried service wire which there is a difference. Either way if the road department catches you placeing it without a permit you will either get a large fine or they will rip it out for you. On the other hand I've seen many a cable placed with no permits. The best I've seen in Birmingham was a large fiber cable laid on the highway for 2 days and ran over repeatedly ( and the wonder why they had problems with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.