Telephone Lightning Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscdesign

I have a request to install an analog phone for a security gate 50 feet from the nearest building. I have requested our facility department to provide an underground conduit back to our telecommunication closet in the nearest building. I have planned to install lightning protection for this circuit where it enters the building. Is lightning protection required at the phone at the security gate? Should this have an independent ground installed or should it be bonded back to the building?

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Telephone Lightning Protection

Protection is not required at the gate per NEC, but would be wise.

You cannot have a independant ground per NEC, it must be bonded to the existing building electrode system.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Telephone Lightning Protection

If this is simply a "call box" with a single line POTS phone or similar out by the gate then from a safety standpoint transient and surge protection there would not do much. Aside from the phone, what's it going to protect? If this is a guard house than it's a different matter and would be required.

That said, keep in mind that most telephone systems and PBX's will require protection at the remote location (especially if this is a "system" or proprietary phone) as well as where the circuit enters the building where the system is located, as does the NEC. AVAYA, for instance, has their own IROB (In Range Out of Building) protectors for this purpose.

Keep in mind also that any surge protection you use will need to clamp higher than the 90 volt ring voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.