Temopary Power Skids

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJorg

Are temporary skids(transformer with a distribution panel mounted on a skid) required to be bolted down. The application is a multi-story building with a conduit riser with a power block in a junction box at each floor. A flex is ran to the disconncet mounted on the skid that feeds the high side of the transformer. Currently the skids are not bolted to the floor. However the inspector is asking if this is code legal. Is it?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Temopary Power Skids

I can't find any rule against it. But then, it seems to me that if you did bolt it down, it would cease to be "temporary."

iwire

Staff member

We use these all the time for temp power on job sites and have never bolted them down.

75 to 300 KVA transformers usually stay on the floor of their own free will. :cool:

If the decks have not yet been poured we hang them from a beam over head with wire rope (aircraft cable).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

RJ, ask the inspector what his concern is if the x-former isn't fixed in place.

RJorg

His concern was what would happen in a seismic event. That they could overturn or have the sealtight feeder be damaged or shorted.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Part of the nature of the word "temporary" is that the time period is supposed to be so short that the probability of a random event (such as an earthquake) is low enough to represent a reasonable risk. On the other hand, if that same Inspector took a walk around the entire building, I'm sure there would be lots of examples of things that would fall and hurt someone, if an earthquake were to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.