Temp. derating, adjustment, correction factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yes, but a panelboard also has overcurrent protection requirements to complicate this.

Correct and that was what I stated, since he has a panelboard the feeder OCPD needs to be 200 amps as well as the coudctors. If you had only a motor feeder that you simply tapped for the motor loads then the OCPD could exceed the rating of the feeder conductors.

Since he has a panelboard we should just ignore the feeder scenario as the latter point is moot.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct and that was what I stated, since he has a panelboard the feeder OCPD needs to be 200 amps as well as the coudctors. If you had only a motor feeder that you simply tapped for the motor loads then the OCPD could exceed the rating of the feeder conductors.

Since he has a panelboard we should just ignore the feeder scenario as the latter point is moot.

But if he needed say 300 amp feeder breaker to allow for motor starting nothing says he couldn't use a 400 amp panelboard with whatever size conductors are necessary for the load(s). Inspectors might balk at it in some cases but should be code compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
you are way off the subject, Lieutenant
I still want an answer to my original questions

Don't call me "Sir" I work for a living.:)

Your answer, which has already been answered, is there is still rules that change adjustment values depending on conditions in 2014, and in 2017 they did away with all of that nonsense. One of the few good moves by NEC in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.