Temp For New Building

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Not sure if this would be different answer geographically.
Utility service is coming in underground.
Haven't looked at new construction building in a bit.
Need to setup up temp power service for 2 story building.
What are the options on where to get power in the very beginning?
I'd imagine the utility would have provide some sort of incoming power right away??
What would be more practical, setting up a temp switchboard or using the permanent as temp?

1691007591559.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
99% of the jobs I see need temp power long before the service gear is installed and before POCO has installed their infrastructure for permanent power.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You’ll have to call the utility and ask what they can offer. It’s unlikely you’ll be allowed permanent service before the building is ready.

The other issue is transformer lead times. I’m still seeing 60/wks from the utilities here. If they have overhead infrastructure in place, it’s likely they can build a pole-mounted bank and run underground to a tap pedestal.

I’ve been either setting an overhead pole at the bank, or wait for them to set the pedestal and connect an underground temp pole. It’s ultimately up to the serving utility to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John A

Occupation
Inspector
Start by contacting the utility co. (PSE&G, JCP&L, etc)
Marketing Dept, and then Engineering, or the area wiring inspector.

You should know a NJ Lic. EC, and they should be able to give you valuable assistance, based on their experience.

IMHO, forget the temp from the permanent like your sketch.

Todd0x1

Buy a generator. Send generator to auction once project is completed (this is usually cheaper than renting as long as you have somone to do maintenance. Get the equipment operators to keep it fueled)

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
It might be better for the o.p. to consider a dedicated temp entrance. Using the spaces for your one line with temp power always (may) screw things up down the road..
We always run straight into the data rm w/pipe and rated temp cable and put our pedestals in the idf.
Dont block your progress w/temp crap... Let the data guy deal with it, since they always show up last.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Depending on the project temporary power can be a large item. For example, along with the 120/240 we have had to provide 480 three phase for tower cranes for multi year jobs. There was a few meetings with the POCO's before the start.

Buck Parrish

Depending on the project temporary power can be a large item. For example, along with the 120/240 we have had to provide 480 three phase for tower cranes for multi year jobs. There was a few meetings with the POCO's before the start.
That's right. Then if you install a temp elevator the state inspector has to check it.