Temp Load Bank Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone ever been part of this for generator where they require a certain amount of hours at 1/2 load then full load. Is the electrician present throughout the entire process or the load gets applied and you can walk away until times up? Would think it would have to be monitored the entire time. Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is usually performed by the generator manufacturer or a company that specializes in it. We would usually be present when it was performed whether it was a 4 hr or 8 hr test. The monitoring should be done with recording devices.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone ever been part of this for generator where they require a certain amount of hours at 1/2 load then full load. Is the electrician present throughout the entire process or the load gets applied and you can walk away until times up? Would think it would have to be monitored the entire time. Thanks.

I've done many of these tests. The electrician will set up all of the temp cables and make all of the connections to the load bank and generator. They also stay for standby during the test. After it's done the electrician will undo all of the disconnects and roll up the cables.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have done it with resistance load banks quite a few times. Another way we have achieved it is DC load banks fed into a an AC supply. This puts power back into the mains thus energy is not wasted. It's a bit more complex but worth the hassle especially in larger industrial plants.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know why you would need an electrician at all for these kind of tests. Most of the time the hookup consists of big extension cords that are already made up.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know why you would need an electrician at all for these kind of tests. Most of the time the hookup consists of big extension cords that are already made up.
Often due to jurisdictional issues and also these systems typically are tested prior to the final electrical inspection sign off so third parties aren't allowed to work on the parts of the electrical system without the electrician present. Here's a few photos from a test a few years ago:
Loadbanktest003.jpg Loadbanktest002.jpg Loadbanktest001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.