TEMPEST/HEMP Dielectric Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I need to find a source for dielectric fittings.

Now I could cobble one together with some PVC female adapters etc. but that is not the route I want to take.

So my question is does anyone know a source for dielectric fittings for use with MC and EMT?

Thanks in advance, Bob

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
In looking at some online documents related to this issue, I find that is one difference between the TEMPEST requirements and the HEMP requirements...TEMPEST needs the dielectric fitting, while HEMP wants backwelded rigid couplings.
Don

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Bob,
In looking at some online documents related to this issue, I find that is one difference between the TEMPEST requirements and the HEMP requirements...TEMPEST needs the dielectric fitting, while HEMP wants backwelded rigid couplings.
Don

Yeah I have found a lot of docs but no suppliers.

It is apparently tempest specs, I have no idea why the job specs don't provide some info as to suppliers

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Bob,
It is a somewhat rare application...there may not be a conduit fitting designed for the purpose. I know that it would be a violation, but there are [URL="http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-3004.pdf"]pipe fittings[/URL] that may work.
Don

Thanks Don, it looks like you and I where finding the same items.

I can find many dielectric componats for process pipe work but not much for electrcal.

If it was a big job we would proably get something custom, but it is a small job and we may go with plastic reducing bushings, I found some dielectric ones made for process piping in the sizes that will fit.

There will be no inspections inside this faciity so the violation issue is not a big deal to the client.

This client carries firearms so they are always right.
icon12.gif

mdshunk

We did some work in a US Marshall's building, and used short sections of PVC with the necessary fittings as the dielectric breaks where required.

dduffee260

Bob, I hate to sound like I don't know what I am doing, but what are dielectric fittings? Is it some way to seperate the bond of the metal conduit at some sections? To be honest there are a ton of things in the electrical field that I don't know about. The field is so vast that anyone who says they know it all are not looking at it hard enough.

mdshunk

I don't know all the uses, but in the electrical trade they are used when metal raceways and cable armours pass from secure to unsecure areas of a building, and outside the building. Has to do with being able to use the metal raceway for bugs and wire taps and such.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
mdshunk said:
I don't know all the uses, but in the electrical trade they are used when metal raceways and cable armours pass from secure to unsecure areas of a building, and outside the building. Has to do with being able to use the metal raceway for bugs and wire taps and such.

Yup. All the different ways that information is generated and transmitted are examined and then reduced or eliminated.

An amusing example of this was when someone noticed that just before we invade a country, the orders for take-out pizza dramatically increase to government buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.