Temporarily raising ballasted solar racking on flat rooftop systems? Is it a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of any procedures and/or devices made specifically for temporarily raising solar panels and their associated ballasted racking systems in order to accommodate localized roof repairs on a flat rooftop of a commercial building. The idea is to minimize work needed to allow for a membrane coating or series of small roof repairs under panels. Can the racking and panels be lifted up without relocating the decommissioned equipment to a completely different part of the roof?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of any procedures and/or devices made specifically for temporarily raising solar panels and their associated ballasted racking systems in order to accommodate localized roof repairs on a flat rooftop of a commercial building. The idea is to minimize work needed to allow for a membrane coating or series of small roof repairs under panels. Can the racking and panels be lifted up without relocating the decommissioned equipment to a completely different part of the roof?

Depending on the racking you are using you may be able to remove single modules and their associated ballast pans and concrete blocks, but you would need to put a grounding jumper across the gap.

pv_n00b

I can't see raising an area of the array to the point where the roof under it would be accessible for repair. But sections of the array could be temporarily removed while the roof was repaired and then the mounting reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.