Temporary lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

Good morning. We have an area in one our facilities with in on going project. This project required the drop ceiling to be removed and temp lights installed. They installed three work lights that are only supported by the conductors and wire nuts. I told them to get it fixed, and their fix was to use electrical tape and zip ties.

Are there different code requirements for temp lighting? I asked them to have the wires in proper conduit. I just want to know if I'm wrong in asking that.

d5564947d4cbe690e8584f6c986ed298.jpg

4a8e09be294c6aa6b2b19f57f2c6406f.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's a common method that we've been using for decades. IMO there is nothing wrong with it.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
What kind of conduit would you propose?

The second picture does raise some concern with the conductors laying on the grid. I would feel more at ease with the AC/MC at least providing protection against the grid as in the first picture.

Maybe a more safe method would be to use a regular temporary light string just tied up to the grid.

jumper

That's a common method that we've been using for decades. IMO there is nothing wrong with it.

Agree, I always thought 590.4(G) allowed this also

(G) Splices.
On construction sites, a box shall not be re-
quired for splices or junction connections where the circuit
conductors are multiconductor cord or cable assemblies,
provided that the equipment grounding continuity is main-
tained with or without the box.

plumb bob

This is very commen in my area.
Only once on a large job was an issue raised. On a walkthru with the safety officer of a general contracter he asked that the lamp protection baskets be supported independantly of the conductors. I belive he did have an OSHA section to back up his request, but I didn't ask to see it. We complied with his request and used tie wire to support the baskets to the structure of the building. This was a walkthru to get ready for a scheduled OSHA visit.

During the OSHA visit the state officer made no mention one way or the other about the supports,

So you may be able to find something in your states OSHA requirements.

iwire

Staff member
The second picture does raise some concern with the conductors laying on the grid. I would feel more at ease with the AC/MC at least providing protection against the grid as in the first picture.

I agree but I would bet the ceiling guy did that when they dropped the pads in.

Maybe a more safe method would be to use a regular temporary light string just tied up to the grid.

The grid had been removed and replaced.

WorkSafe

These lights have been like this for almost a year until they figure out how to relocate the large hvac duct above it. As it is right now, the ceiling is only 72 inches high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
These lights have been like this for almost a year until they figure out how to relocate the large hvac duct above it. As it is right now, the ceiling is only 72 inches high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Well there are time constraints in art 590 as well, but "during the period of construction" probably applies to you .... is your application still under construction??

Looks like it may be indefinitely under construction.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.