Temporary power bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblick

Currently I have a 150 amp service with meter pan outside and the main service panel inside. The main service panel is the only disconnect on the system and is grounded and bonded.

I am starting a major construction project and need to temporarily relocate the electric service entrance. It will be approximately 12 feet away from the main service panel. Because of this distance and the need to add some additional temporary power outside, I want to install a outdoor load center next to my meter pan to act as a disconnect.

Is it ok to bond the nuetral in the outdoor load center and in the main service panel inside or do I need to unbond the nuetral on the inside panel as if it were a sub panel. I don't want to If I don't have to.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Will you be feeding the inside PLN. with OCP from the new load center outside? If so, is the existing PNL feed in conduit? Or are you double lugging both PNL's from the meter base?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the new service is moved down the outside wall 12 feet and the service conductors don't enter the building until it gets to the existing main panel then you would not have to add an outdoor service disco.

If you must add the outside disco then you need to separate the neutrals and grounds in the existing panel inside and you must run 4 wires from the main disco.

I am assuming an electrician is doing the work not you, unless you are aa license electrician also.

rblick

I decided to go with a new 200A load center outside, run 2/0 SER from feed through to my existing 150A panel, unbond the nuetrals at the 150 AMP panel, new ground rod at outside load center.

Cost me more but seems to be the safest most flexible way.
No I can shut off the whole house and still supply temp power to the contractors outside.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
How far within the building, measured along the cable, is this panel?
I don't have the answer but what difference would that make. I understand the OP to have a 200 amp main breaker panel on the outside which, sounds like, has a feed thru buss. The 2/0 is wired to an existing indoor main breaker 150 amp panel.

Wouldn't the 150 amp breaker on the existing panel protect the 2/0. I do not see a problem with this installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.