Temporary Power/Lighting in New Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Forgive me if this is the improper section of the forum to pose these questions, but I was curious about temporary power (receptacles) and lighting in new commercial construction.

I do primarily commercial communications cabling, and I'm not familiar with the electrical side. Here are my questions:

1) Are new commercial buildings required by code (either building, NEC, or OSHA regulations) to have either temporary lighting or receptacles installed?

2) If so, is there any distance limit from the building that a receptacle "work station" (box with built in breakers and outlets) can be installed? What parts of the building have to be illuminated or powered, and at what stage of construction must/should they be in by?

3) Is there any requirement for number of temporary receptacles available per jobsite?

I'm not looking to install any temporary electrical circuits or anything, just curious to know what is standard or allowed. I've seen sites ranging from zero power (had to buy a generator, couldn't work after dark), two duplex outlets 125' from the building entrance (400' of extension cord needed to reach all areas), to two "work stations" (8 outlets each) per floor and lights every 12 or so feet.

charlie

Unless it has changed since 1975, this is all determined by the local rules and contracts. There is no requirement for temporary power but there are requirements for installing the power if it is installed. It is sort of like power to a garage or other outbuilding, no power - no problem; power - you have to follow the code for installation. :smile:

nakulak

if you need power to perform your task, it is something that you might consider adding to your contract. Elevator contractors often do this, and GC's often try to stick the responsibility on the EC if they can. otherwise, unless its a hazard not to have power, (as stated above), its not required

adequate job site lighting is usually required by fed and state osha

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There may be local or fire department requirements for 24 egress lighting if the building has stairwells. Also some places require 24 hour night watchman lighting so that a security guard can walk the building at night when he's not hiding in the coffee shop. :rolleyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought there were OSHA regulations on the lighting.
I am sure that there are, but each employer would have to provide the required lighting for his employees. (in the absence of a contract document that requires the EC or other party to provide it)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If I understand your question, then my answer would be no, nothing is required.

I'm assuming that you are talking about a building that is built and then you have to come in and do a TI.

That is a problem, especially when the building is built by one contractor and then the suites are built by others. Here the building would require a C of O and part of that condition by our planning department is that all of the temp poles are removed. We will not release the power to a building unless there is a tenent, otherwise how could we control who moves in there. The best way around this is to install a house panel for the exterior lighting, fire alarms and whatnot, and add a couple of outlets for future workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.