temporary service hook-up without inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken 6789

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has been in following dilemma:

A friend of mine owns a house and has asked me to help him change out his electrical service. He has a small house and we're installing a 100 amp service. He pulled the permit already and we planned on working tomorrow, Friday 12/31/10. However, we later realized the building department is closed tomorrow. We are both busy people and tomorrow would be best day. Does anyone think it's ok to temporaily connect the electrical service to the overhead drop? I plan on using mechanical barrel connectors and allow POCO remove them so they can crimp barrel lugs in after inspection. Obviously, I cannot let my friend be in the dark til next Monday. If the AHJ would have a problem with a temporary hook-up, I guess I would remove the connectors before the AHJ makes his inspection. Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

renosteinke

When Reno changed it's policies, I found myself in a similar situation. No problem; the PoCo was quite happy to hook-up before the city inspected.

It's possible that my being 'known' to the folks at the PoCo influenced their decision to 'take a chance.'

pete m.

That would most likely depend on your POCO and AHJ. FWIW around my area 99% of the service upgrades/changes are temporarily connected as you have described without incident.

Pete

220/221

Does anyone think it's ok to temporaily connect the electrical service to the overhead drop?

It doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks.

Some are allowed to do it, some are not, and some do it even if they are not allowed.

growler

Go For It!!!!

Go For It!!!!

In this area I go ahead and hook up hot just as you are planning to do. NO problems. :)

If you would list your location then someone from your area may be able to provide a better answer. I think there are a few places where they are not so understanding.

Ken 6789

In this area I go ahead and hook up hot just as you are planning to do. NO problems. :)

If you would list your location then someone from your area may be able to provide a better answer. I think there are a few places where they are not so understanding.

Westlake, Ohio. anyone familiar with AHJ?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

A friend of mine owns a house and has asked me to help him change out his electrical service. He has a small house and we're installing a 100 amp service. He pulled the permit already and we planned on working tomorrow, Friday 12/31/10. However, we later realized the building department is closed tomorrow. We are both busy people and tomorrow would be best day. Does anyone think it's ok to temporaily connect the electrical service to the overhead drop? I plan on using mechanical barrel connectors and allow POCO remove them so they can crimp barrel lugs in after inspection. Obviously, I cannot let my friend be in the dark til next Monday. If the AHJ would have a problem with a temporary hook-up, I guess I would remove the connectors before the AHJ makes his inspection. Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

Up here in mass that is how we do it,, we have 5 days to pull a permit.
so you can schedual a service upgrade and do the work pull a permit and call in for an inspection then the inspector will notifie the POCO and they will come out when they can and put a new tag lock on the meter sockett.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

"105.1 Required.

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move or change the occupancy of a residential building or structure, or portion thereof, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing system, other residential building service equipment, or piping system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required approval."

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_1_sec005.htm?bu=OH-P-2005-000004

"109.5 Inspection requests.

It shall be the duty of the owner or the owner's duly authorized agent to notify the building official when work is ready for inspection. Access to and means for inspection of such work shall be provided for any inspections that are required by this code."

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st...b4v06_1_sec009_par015.htm?bu=OH-P-2005-000004

Now does this give you permission to connect the utilities?

"111.1 Connection of service utilities.

No person shall make connections from a utility, source of energy, fuel or power to any building or system that is regulated by this code for which an approval is required, until approved by the residential building official."

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_1_sec011.htm?bu=OH-P-2005-000004

Will the AHJ allow a temporary hook-up?

"111.2 Temporary connection.

The residential building official shall have the authority to authorize and approve the temporary connection of the building or system to the utility source of energy, fuel or power."

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/...-P-2005-000004

Sorry for the last minute post but a phone call to the AHJ would have solved your problem.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Proceed at your own peril.

Proceed at your own peril.

This is a case when it pays to know local rules and attitudes. I have done this more then once, and would do it again, BUT there is a city near by that the fines start at $500.00 for touching the service conductors and they pull your meter. Once they pull the meter you don't get a speedy reply to having an inspection and reconnect.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
This is a case when it pays to know local rules and attitudes. I have done this more then once, and would do it again, BUT there is a city near by that the fines start at $500.00 for touching the service conductors and they pull your meter. Once they pull the meter you don't get a speedy reply to having an inspection and reconnect.

What city? For my info.

tryinghard

We used to do this years back, it's really your utility company that could make a big deal over it. Do you know any service techs for your utility if so call em.

stevebea

Our local POCO has an approved contractor list as far as making your own temp. connections. If your not on the list then no can do.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
For anyone in the SF bay area, Palo Alto Ca. will fine you.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
In my area, both Inspections & POCO are somewhat lenient. They know the customer needs power & that you may have no other choice.

What will get you in trouble here with Inspections is doing it without permits. Stealing power will get you in trouble with POCO. Other than that, you are OK to do as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.