Temporary Underground Power Cable

YoSam

Occupation
QC Div. Manager
In our industrial construction, often times we are required to run temporary power for offices, lunch tents, etc. underground. We have had instances where these underground cables have been struck while other trenching has been done.
Is there any place in the NEC that covers underground temporary power cable burial requirements? Does NEC differentiate the difference between temporary and permanent underground cable installations?
Thanks

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
In our industrial construction, often times we are required to run temporary power for offices, lunch tents, etc. underground. We have had instances where these underground cables have been struck while other trenching has been done.
Is there any place in the NEC that covers underground temporary power cable burial requirements? Does NEC differentiate the difference between temporary and permanent underground cable installations?
Thanks
Not that I’m aware of. Most sites I’m on run temp power on the ground sleeved in PVC.

YoSam

Occupation
QC Div. Manager
Not that I’m aware of. Most sites I’m on run temp power on the ground sleeved in PVC.
That would work, unfortunately this particular instance, the line was buried and cut during another trench dig while powered up. Not encased in PVC, or any other type of protection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as I know it is permissible to direct bury cables on temporary installations (no conduit) as long as they meet the depth requirements of 300.5 (up to 100v) and 300.50 (>1000v) and are the proper cable type.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does NEC differentiate the difference between temporary and permanent underground cable installations?
Basically no. There are a few exceptions but none pertaining to your underground work.

590.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article apply to temporary electric power and lighting installations.
590.2 All Wiring Installations.
590.2(A) Other Articles.
Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.