TENNESSEE LIMITED LICENSED ELECTRICIAN (LLE) - How Best to Study

gregggm

Occupation
It Consultant
I am looking to take the LLE test and looking for some guidance on what resources are the best to study to best prepare for the test. I have been doing electrical work for many years, but lack a full understanding of the all NEC codes, thus not sure what best to focus on given this is a limited license. There is so much content I am finding it a challenge on what domains to really focus on.

Is the test the same for LLE and journeyman?

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Mike Holt's book on "Understanding the NEC" is a great book showing you how to read and look up things in the code book.
He also has a study on preparing for exams. I can't recall the exact name, but go to www.mikeholt.com and check out what he has.

The testing agency will have a list of books to study and/or bring with you to take the exam.

gregggm

Occupation
It Consultant
I am looking to take the LLE test and looking for some guidance on what resources are the best to study to best prepare for the test. I have been doing electrical work for many years, but lack a full understanding of the all NEC codes, thus not sure what best to focus on given this is a limited license. There is so much content I am finding it a challenge on what domains to really focus on.

Is the test the same for LLE and journeyman?

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
oh, forgot to ask. What NEC Code year will the test be based on, 2017 or 2023 and which Article sections are most prevalent?

gregggm

Occupation
It Consultant
re: Little Bill-- thanks much my friend. Yep, already taking a look at Mike Holt site for resources. Not sure though where to focus given the vast article sections

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I think the test prep is called "Electrical NEC Exam Preparation" It has tests at the end of each chapter. I used it years ago.
As far as which code cycle the test is on, you would have to go to the State's site and see. Should be on the 2017 since the State hasn't changed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The test is administered by PSIexams. They have a lot of information on their site including, I believe, the % of questions per subject.