Tennessee Limited Licensed Electrician LLE Preparation - Help Preparing

gregggm

Occupation
It Consultant
Hello, I am looking for some overall guidance on how to prepare for the LLE test conducted by PSI. For those of you that have taken the test as of late, could you share your tips, tricks and what reference material is best to prepare me for passing the test. I have been an apprentice on and off for 15 yrs with my father (residential), thus I do know theory and have a pretty good handle on , but have never been formally trained as part of a curriculum.

Below is PSI's recommended resource list; what would y'all feel the best way to study including or not including some of the references below or possibly reference material that is not listed:

NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, 2017
National Electrical Code (NEC) Handbook, 2017,
Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments,
NFPA 70E - Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, 2012, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA
Ugly's Electrical References

Below is the content outline from PSI- is this current and or does anyone have input on the best way to prep for these areas---

thx so much for your help

Gary

Subject Area # of Items

General Knowledge and Electrical Installation Requirements 7
Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits 7
Overcurrent Protection 2
Grounding and Bonding 5
Conductors and Cables 4
Raceways and Boxes 5
Hazardous Locations, Special Occupancies, and Special Equipment 5
Low Voltage, Alarms, Signaling Systems, and Communications 2
Lighting, Signs, and General Use Equipment 3

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I found the LLE exam, unlike the C-E exam, to be 99% NEC.
Miike's "Electrical Exam Preparation" book would be an excellent study guide/prep for the exam.
Your NEC and an Ugly's booklet should be sufficient for taking the exam.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They through in some OSHA stuff that wasn't listed as being part of it. Luckily, someone who had taken the test advised us of it. Things like how far away from the house should the bottom of a ladder be according to the height of the roof.
I answered that I wanted the ladder as close to the house as possible if I'm climbing it! :)

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
They through in some OSHA stuff that wasn't listed as being part of it. Luckily, someone who had taken the test advised us of it. Things like how far away from the house should the bottom of a ladder be according to the height of the roof.
I answered that I wanted the ladder as close to the house as possible if I'm climbing it! :)
The 'official' Ladder Safety Institute rule is 1:4-- for every 4 units up, the base should be 1 unit away from what you're climbing. So the OSHA rule should be "One-fourth of the height of the roof, not counting 3 extra feet beyond the edge."
There used to be a 'rule of thumb' that when you're standing perfectly straight at the base of the ladder, your hands should be able to grab a rung without stretching. I don't know if the 1:4 rule supersedes the rule of thumb or not.

Octotats

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I am experiencing multiple fails in Ca. taking this exam through PSI. I am a 30 year electrician and have owned my company for 5 years. It seems according to my experience and multiple others that the testing centers are failing people just to get them to pay for retest. The 43 questions are only counting as 40 and they are eliminating 3 as "test questions" by their own admissions. PSI is choosing any of the 43 correct answers as the test questions. It is documented on the web at complaints board and multiple other sites.
I failed by 1 question the 1st test and 3 the second test.
I passed my first test 30 years ago of 100 questions in 4 hrs with an 82% with 3 years in the trade. Currently I am moving to TN and when taken, I got 70% and 62%. I knew the answers to 30 questions straight from the NEC, also the ladder 4:1! The other questions were ambiguous, incorrect or no answer even if asked to AI (chatGPT) upon arriving home. It is very unfortunate that this is happening since PSI has the testing monopolized and seems ARE able to alter the results at the center or after receiving a complaint. They will not show you which you got wrong , so even if you were right or cant find the correct answer online your at a loss. When complaints were responded to by miracle on these sites, It seems PSI changes scores to passing once they are called out for their fraud. Being I live in Ca. does not suprise me if it is only at this San Diego site, but all the comments online show something is severly wrong and should be looked into by the AG of every state that uses this company. Microsoft does not use them anymore as well. I am currently in process of getting to the bottom of this as it affects every test taker in every field and is quite a scam. If anyone else has experienced this issue please respond. If anyone knows of a different testing center please advise.
Appreciated

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They will not show you which you got wrong , so even if you were right or cant find the correct answer online your at a loss
I don't know about now, but years ago they would show you for a fee. I think it was $25 then. Not sure if they do it now, or if the price is the same.